Wednesday, March 26, 2008

For The Greater Good

I woke up this morning and all I wanted was to be sleeping again. My body has developed this annoying pattern of being overtaken by nausea just before it's time to get ready for bed and it keeps me up for a while... And then I'm making at least four or five trips to the washroom during the night. So my alarm goes in the morning and I'm exhausted (and filled with residual queasiness) - plus by then, I inevitably need to use the washroom again. But I get up and power through another work day, with each day adding to the exhaustion of the last.

Whiny, I know. I'm not dying of pregnancy or anything. I just think the combination of fibromyalgia, baby growing, and the emotional exhaustion my whole family has been dealing with this month is creating a monster. And today was the first day that it really started to concern me, because I was noticing some mild fibro symptoms. Time to slip into full-on Lindsay Preservation Mode. Especially because I'm not the only person whose health I'm worrying about anymore.

Before I officially entered into The Mode, though, I had a crazy day at work. It all kind of culminated at a luncheon event we attended for one of my clients - a fundraiser for the Canadian Museum for Human Rights that will help create a fund to allow students from across Canada and around the world to visit the museum and participate in educational programs to learn about human rights. It definitely added to the chaos of my day (and created all kinds of diet-related challenges), but it was exciting to hear about their plans for this program - and the keynote speaker was Lloyd Axworthy, who I have a lot of respect for. He spoke about human rights and his related experiences in government and in his work with the UN. Definitely a life full of experiences that I covet a little. Okay, a lot.

By now, I'm three and a half hours into The Mode... And to be honest, I'm a little bored. But I know it's for the greater good :)

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At March 26, 2008 10:20 PM, Blogger Black Out Photography said...

Good for you. It's very important to know when to step back for a little me (and baby) time. :)

 
At March 27, 2008 10:35 AM, Blogger ka said...

I am grateful to Junior for a) not causing me even the tiniest bit of queasiness for the last 8 and a half months, and b) only causing me to maybe go to the bathroom once in the night.

Which probably means I'm going to have the toddler from you-know-where while Baby Wright is a complete angel. Or so They tell me. Whoever They are. :)

 
At March 27, 2008 11:01 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Lucky duck. I'm eagerly awaiting the end of my first trimester, when I hear all this fun will pause - at least until I get closer to the end.

As annoying as it is, I *feel* pregnant, and I'm grateful for that. I think that - in the absence of all these symptoms - I'd be in a constant panic that something was wrong.

I know that this pregnancy was a total surprise, but I'd be absolutely destroyed if anything were to happen... I love this baby so much already :)

Awww...

 
At March 27, 2008 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing that a 'tiny tot' can affect one so much from nearly day one? This is the beginning of your new world - having the rest of your life changed by the 'offspring effect':) I have often wondered if the pain balances the joy; or does the discomfort allow the joy to be fuller and more appreciated? I know you are taking good care of our new grandchild and her mother balanced by giving much love and support to the other Grandma:)

 
At March 27, 2008 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lindsay, you're making me all weepy with your comment there...and almost (I say 'almost') makes me wish I was pregnant. : )

Keep taking care of yourself and your baby. I'm still in shock that there's a baby in there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home