Monday, March 24, 2008

Double Trouble!

The Blog Entry I Would Have Posted on March 18

I'm not going to lie. This past weekend was HARD. My mom is really upset and worried about her test results, and asked for all of us kids to come home for dinner on Sunday evening.

I was still all torn up inside about what to do - whether to tell, or whether to wait. Geoff and I went shopping on Saturday and bought a card to break the news to my parents, and it was all ready to go in my purse... But as we drove closer and closer to Niverville, I was only about 90% sure that we were doing the right thing. I just didn't know if it would all be too much for my mom to handle right now.

Anyway. To make a long story short, as the family was sitting down to dinner, Geoff and I handed our card to my mom. To say she was surprised is the understatement of the century (and that includes George Bush's assessments of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan). Her face froze. My dad looked stunned. And then my mom jumped up and ran out of the room sobbing. And I immediately began to doubt our instincts that had told us that it was okay to share.

My mom came back to the table a minute or two later, still clutching a Kleenex - much calmer and clearly showing her joy (with just a touch of residual shock).

And then it turned into a REAL sitcom moment, because my sister reached under her chair and handed a gift bag to my parents. A gift bag containing tiny baby bibs.

Oh. My. God.

After some very, very quick conversation, we discovered that Jess and I are due about 10 days apart. Looks like Baby has inherited a little of its mommy's flair for drama (and a lot of her terrible sense of timing).

And I know in my heart that telling was the right thing - not only because it would have been incredibly uncomfortable for one of us if the only other had announced! My evidence of this truth is the fact that my mom didn't cry once yesterday. In fact, she told me that she hadn't stopped smiling since we told her. This is one tough grandma-to-be who is going to fight cancer like a wildcat if that's what it comes to. Because there is absolutely nothing in the world that my mom loves more than (a) her kids, and (b) newborn babies.

This is going to be RIDICULOUS.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At March 25, 2008 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You.are.not!?! Oh my word! I'm kind of speechless. BOTH of you?

 
At March 25, 2008 9:02 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

How cool that you and your sister will be able to travel this journey together? That is awesome.

 
At March 25, 2008 5:57 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

See? I had a couple of surprises left, even for those of you who thought you know about everything that was going on :)

God is silly sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home