Monday, March 24, 2008

Figure It Out, People...

The Blog Entry I Would Have Posted on March 22

Yesterday was ridiculous insanity. My sister and I were both planning to announce our pregnancies at our family gathering, and my dad came up with an idea to make it as dramatic as possible (big surprise).

After our impromptu little pre-party at our place, we all headed out to the gathering. Geoff and Aaron and Cait and I were all sporting fancy new t-shirts that read 'I'm going to be an AUNT' and 'I'm going to be an UNCLE' as applicable. When people noticed what we were wearing, there were a few minutes of chaos of Jess and Kevin were swarmed by well-wishing family members.

Then, a few minutes later, Jess and Kevin unzipped their hoodies to reveal matching 'I'm going to be an AUNT' and 'I'm going to be an UNCLE' t-shirts. There were 30 seconds of stunned silence, followed by a couple of quiet and disbelieving questions, then more pandemonium than before.

My immediate family has had many, many laughs as we've mocked and impersonated all the people who took a couple of seconds too long to figure it out. The t-shirts weren't exactly subtle, people :)

Needless to say, people were very excited to celebrate our good news with us - and it provided a nice contrast to the sadness everyone was feeling about my mom. I constantly struggle with internal questions about how to balance all of this news. I don't want to take away from what my mom is going through by being TOO happy and excited. And I know that she doesn't want to take away any of our job by being TOO sad and scared.

It's exhausting.



My Dad's idea of a hilarious joke - lining us up for a photo on the stairs. We weren't really capable of doing it seriously, though :)

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At March 25, 2008 9:14 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I LOVE THIS! Your dad is WAY too clever (and subtle?).

 
At March 25, 2008 6:01 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

I love my Dad :)

 
At March 26, 2008 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! I LOVE IT. HUGS TO YOU ALL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home