Monday, March 24, 2008

Breaking the News

The Blog Entry I Would Have Posted on March 20

Whewww... Holy cow, people get EXCITED about babies!

Last night, all the girls were sitting around after band practice, and it was a perfect moment if I've ever felt one. About three seconds after I uttered the word 'baby' - after that stunned silence I'm starting to get used to - I was very gently but completely tackled by a group of very excited women. Fun. I don't think Mel stopped beaming for a millisecond.

And then today brought the slightly less fun task of telling my boss. Shudder. It went really well, actually. Everyone is totally surprised, but happy for me (us). They're not exactly thrilled about it (understatement) - and they immediately asked if I was coming back after, and if I'd still be available to freelance while I'm on mat leave - but it will be okay.

This afternoon, I broke the news to Kari-Ann, which was very fun. She's due at the beginning of May - also unexpectedly - and it will be fun to have someone else around who's going through so much of what I'm going through.

Honestly? All of this telling today is serving as a distraction. I'm incredibly aware that it is currently 2.52 pm. Which means that my mom's appointment started 22 minutes ago. And I don't know about you, but I'd imagine that - if it was good news - the doctor wouldn't take that long to communicate it, and my parents would have jumped right on their cell phones to let us all know.

Okay, it's 2.56 now. My stomach is dropping every time the clock in the corner of my laptop changes. 2.57. 2.58. I'm at work, sitting at my desk in a totally open-concept office - and I don't care that I'm crying.

3.10. Oh my GOD. This is agonizing.

3.16. My brother just IM'd me and let me know that his cell phone was ringing, and that my dad's cell number was on his call display. I feel sick.

3.28. That's the amount of time it took for my dad to get off the phone with my brother, for him to call me, for me to take my moment in the bathroom at work to get the beginning of my tears out, and for me to call Geoff and ask him to come and pick me up. I just need to go home and process this. I was very brave on the phone until my dad started to cry. Then I fell apart.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home