Friday, July 02, 2010

Full of Love

Today was kind of incredible. I'm still making slow and steady progress - I'd say my pain has now been cut in half from when I started on my meds again, though I'm dealing with some pretty frustrating side effects. What made my day incredible was the support I felt from so many people. Geoff had to work today, but my friend Kathy came and spent the day with Briony + I. Then my friend Christine came and took the evening shift. During the day, yet another friend emailed to see if she could drop off any groceries for us. And I've had *so* many encouraging messages hit my inbox. There is no way we could be doing this on our own. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to feel this level of love and support from our friends.

Now I'm getting ready for an extra-long weekend at the lake - four days beginning tomorrow. Four days set aside to heal my body and celebrate my birthday with the people in this world who are most important to me.

This Monday, I am having my last birthday ever (the last one I'll ever admit to, anyway). Turning 29 feels strange, but only because it's the last birthday before I turn 30. And 30 scares me, but not for the reasons you might think. I'm actually really excited to begin my 30s... But the year I'm 30 will also be the year I 'celebrate' 20 years of living with a chronic illness. Crazy, isn't it? There are *so* many emotions attached to that, and even more given the events of this past week. We're toying with the idea of doing something BIG to ensure that it's a true celebration, because there really is *so* much to celebrate in my life... You'll be hearing more about this as the time approaches, I'm sure.

In some ways, it's scary to celebrate a birthday in the middle of this mess. It kind of makes me wonder what we're in for this year. In other ways, it's okay because - no matter what happens - my life is so very full of love. And really, what more can a girl ask for?

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At July 03, 2010 10:59 AM, Blogger Peever said...

Hi Lindsay,

I noticed "Fibro" in your tags and just wanted to let you know that a good friend of mine has been struggling with the disease for a couple of years now. She is about your age and has been off work for almost 2 years now.

One of the hardest things for her is the perceptions that come along with Fibro. People don't understand how you appear just fine one day and pay for it the next. Sometimes she sleeps entire days away, or saves up just enough energy for a shower. She has been outcast from friends and co-workers who just think she is working the system or something. It's quite awful.

To make matters worse it took forever for someone to even diagnose "Fibro" and even longer for the insurance company to back the diagnosis. Seems like even the doctors don't have a great understanding of it. They seem to want to dose all the symptoms but don't really have all the answers.

Anyway, I know she has found an amazing Dr here in Winnipeg publishing great finds on the subject. She has pretty much moved here from Edmonton to receive better care. She still has a residence in Edm for insurance purposes but I am sure she would love to talk to someone who understands what she is going through and I thought it might benefit you as well. Just let me know and I will send you more info.

Regardless, enjoy the lake and feel better soon.

 
At July 03, 2010 10:06 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Even if you read this late...you can celebrate longer. Hope you had some sunshine at the lake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home