Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Too Fit to be President?

Want to read something that will make you go HUH?

Check out this article that appeared in the Wall Street Journal this week.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121755336096303089.html

Don't give it *too* much thought. This political reporter is being essentially crucified in the media right now for writing such a ridiculous, featherweight story and passing it off as news. But the fact that it was written in the first place - and that it was approved for print - makes you wonder about the state of the US (which, of course, ends up being an indirect reflection of us). This article claims that Americans won't elect a man who's fit, when 66% of Americans are overweight - and uses Obama's physical fitness as further evidence of elitism.

Now, I'm no big crazy Obama fan. I'd vote for him if I could, but only because Hillary's out of the race. Yeah, yeah. You can all judge me for that later, but I'm actually a moderate Clinton fan (Hillary AND Bill). Personal issues aside, I feel like he did a respectable job as president - and I find it offensive that the American public tried to have him impeached for a personal indiscretion when the current president flat-out lied about a cause for war and he's somehow managed to get away with it...

But I digress. My point is this: To withhold your vote because he goes to the gym is so far past ridiculous that I am speechless. People used to be judged and ridiculed for being overweight. That's not right. But it's a thousand times stranger to me to judge and ridicule someone because he is healthy and taking care of himself. I'd call that being a positive role model.

And god forbid we all get together and elect a positive role model :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home