Saturday, December 01, 2007

An Unexpected Encounter

I had such a good night last night. I certainly didn’t expect things to turn out that way, not after the week I had. I was tired and – thanks to my ever-constant friend called fibro – I felt physically beat up. Weary would be the right word, I think. Or exhausted. Or just plain, old-fashioned TIRED.

Last night, as I rushed around to get ready for the evening’s plans, I felt this compulsive need to just stop. I found myself sitting on the couch and pausing in all my busyness to just BE. And in that quiet, I realized what had been going wrong in my world all week. I realized that, in the midst of my chaos, I had made myself busier and crazier trying to get everything back in order – and that I’d failed to do the one thing that I should have done at the very beginning. You know it. Finally, at the end of my positively hellish week, I paused and talked to God about it.

I feel like I made him sad. He told me that he’d been right there the whole time, wanting to help – but waiting for me to ask. And I never did.

I’ve spent the weeks since our trip feeling pulled in seventeen thousand directions, playing so many roles, wearing so many hats (and I do not even look good in hats). Within the space of a week, I am a wife, a friend, a daughter, a sister, a sister-in-law, a granddaughter, a niece, a cousin, an aunt, an account manager, a coworker, a consultant, a writer, a mentor, a worship leader, a woman… It’s hard to know where to stop. And I feel like God gave me a great big hug last night when he told me quite simply that I needed to concentrate on one role and one role only: I am his child. As long as I focus on that and do it the best way I know how, the rest will come. If I’m focused on loving the people around me and becoming a little more Christ-like every day, how can I fail at anything I need to do? He saved us so that we could be free. And I am free of the pressure to do all those roles perfectly, and to just pour my heart into one.

I feel so light, so hopeful. My body is tired and weary, but my soul is refreshed.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At December 02, 2007 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! I was praying that you would have some quiet time this weekend as you have sounded so busy. PTL and hopefully you will find more of these moments to be less of an 'animated architect'- which is fun but tiring:) Marilyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home