Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Amazing Grace

Here's another 'R' word for this week: reconciliation. It seems to be a theme in my life this year, actually. In the past months, I've seen four friendships restored through communication, forgiveness - and someone taking the very brave first step to break down the wall and make it happen.

The first couple of reconciliations were initiated by others. I don't think it's a secret anymore that my old friend Erin contacted me earlier this year and kick-started our journey to a restored, grown-up version of a very special friendship. In the years (decades?) we've been friends, I've learned so much from this very special woman - about trusting God when it's hard, about going after the things you want and making them happen, about letting go and embracing life joyfully. But I think I learned the most from her this year. This year, she taught me about grace and humility. Very grown-up words from a woman who only pretends to be a grown-up because she has to :)

A few months ago, two other friends found me on Facebook and sent messages to say hi, after years of cold silence. No real, offline relationships happening there today - and honestly, probably not ever - but it feels *so* good to know that we're coexisting peacefully in the universe.

And this past week, I decided that the last relationship I needed to heal would be my responsibility. And so I sent a simple email to this former friend, no strings attached. Quite honestly, I pretty much forgot about it once it was sent. Their response wasn't the point - I had healed on my own and let go of the conflict, regardless of what happened. I felt my journey was complete.

But then a funny thing happened. I had an email in my inbox this morning. In it was an apology, a request for forgiveness, an answer to what happened between us - and an olive branch. I honestly didn't think it would matter, but my heart feels so light. It's been released from a burden that I didn't know it was carrying.

Christmas is in full swing now. And with this holiday season comes the promise of a new beginning - and of GRACE, in glorious abundance. My prayer is that God will continue to teach me about grace. Grace without pride or judgment. Amazing grace.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At November 28, 2007 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say that I love you and I appreciate you. You have taught me so many things this year as we've reconnected. I knew I missed your friendship, but I didn't realize how much until you were back in my life. I hope this next year we can spend more time together (hopefully we'll both have more time) and continue to grow our new relationship. (((HUGS)))

 
At November 28, 2007 5:53 PM, Blogger sherri said...

Yay for Grace! I am happy for you Linds. I miss sitting and drinking tea with you - very much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home