Saturday, August 07, 2010

Covered in Love

Okay, WOW. I don't even know where to start. Today has been a little bit overwhelming, in the best possible way. I've been crying on and off since I woke up, I think.

Briony did a really good job this morning. I talked with someone at the gate right away and let them know that I was disabled and traveling alone with a toddler. And they were fantastic - someone from WestJet helped carry the stroller to the door of the plane and took my carry-on bag all the way to our seat.

Briony wasn't exactly thrilled about needing to stay within two square feet for almost three hours (and who can blame her... I hate it too!), but she did a good job. We had a separate seat available for her, which was great - but the woman in the third seat over did NOT like kids. She was kind of mean, actually - and I'm sure she got off that plane, stomped over to the WestJet desk, and complained about the child on her flight. But the parents in the row behind us (who were traveling without their kids) played peekaboo with Briony during the flight and commented at the end that she'd been incredibly well-behaved, better than their kids had ever been.

The toughest part was around 45-60 minutes before landing. She was starting to fuss and cry and escalate, and I sent up a quick and desperate prayer... Within seconds, Briony curled up on my lap, leaned her head against my chest, and quietly watched the television screen until we landed. THANK YOU, GOD. I love that we have a God who cares about little things like cranky toddlers and parking spaces :)

In Winnipeg, one of the WestJet people actually stepped up and volunteered to hold Briony while I set up the stroller - and to my surprise, Briony took to her immediately and was giggling and asking her about her nametag. Also to my surprise, she didn't fuss at all about being put into her stroller. And when the elevator doors opened, Geoff was standing two feet away waiting for us (with a Starbucks in hand for me... how did he know?! hehe).

Briony was *so* happy to see her Dada, and thrilled to run around our house checking out all her toys and her room again.

Today has just felt like one big, long hug - from all of Marilyn's help to get us to the airport this morning, to Geoff's smile when we stepped off the elevator at the airport, to shampooed and steam cleaned carpets + totally cleaned out flower beds with new flowers planted all around the house (I'll say it again: I have the best friends in the entire world), to the flowers and groceries that Geoff picked up, to an inbox full of emails and texts from people who were praying for our flight this morning.

I'm feeling head to toe covered in love :)

Labels: , , , , , , ,


At August 08, 2010 1:08 PM, Blogger Nessie said...

Oh! I'm so glad your flight home was as stress-free as it was. I was praying for you yesterday, that it would all work out. Your family and friends and little Briony sound so lovely. And I hope you find a combination of drugs that works for you. I know how hard it is to get your hopes wrapped up in this drug at this time — and to be so disappointed when it doesn't work out.

At August 13, 2010 3:36 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Thanks! I could feel all the prayers being sent up on our behalf. And your support and encouragement mean so much, because I know that you understand exactly what I mean.


Post a Comment

<< Home