Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lent

Hey, is it too late to claim that I'm giving up coffee for Lent? ;)

I never do Lent. It wasn't really a part of my childhood religious upbringing, and by the time I became an adult and was more exposed to it, I didn't really get it. I mean, I GET IT, but I think that those same Lenty principles would mean more to me if they were practiced as part of my everyday life. I seriously hate doing something just because someone told me to. That's pretty much the best way to guarantee that I WON'T do it, actually.

If it's something that works for you and has significance in your life, that's awesome. Good for you. Seriously. I just don't see how - for me personally - giving up Facebook or television or chocolate or whatever will bring me closer to God. And God's cool with that. Really. I asked him. Right after I finished yelling at him for doing such a lousy job of taking care of this whole gallbladder situation.

Anyway. I used to work in an office where it seemed like EVERYONE did Lent. I was new, so I told them I was giving up cigarettes. Everyone was so super impressed. (I have never even tried smoking in my life.) And what do you know, I was totally successful! I *may* have also spread a rumour that one of my coworkers - the one I was secretly dating - was trying to give up cocaine for Lent... Yeah. It's a very good thing that I don't work there anymore. (Right, Margaret?) Boredom causes me to do terrible, terrible things.

I'm referring, of course, to my dating decisions. The Lent thing was FUNNY :D

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At March 11, 2010 2:06 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Yup, glad we don't work there anymore.

 
At March 11, 2010 8:51 PM, Blogger Allison Friesen said...

Hahahaha! Thanks for the laugh!

 
At March 11, 2010 11:21 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Margaret - I'm glad that I did for a season, for some of the wonderful people I met. But that's about it :)

Allison - You're very welcome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home