Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Silver Lining

My silver lining in this whole gallbladder experience has been my surgeon. She is AMAZING. And it was nice to feel so extra-cared for again today when I called her receptionist to see if these new symptoms are something to really be worrying about or not. She spoke with my surgeon and called me back with the news that it sounds like it's *probably* not a big deal, but that they'd like me to come in tomorrow just to be absolutely sure. Then a couple of hours later, my surgeon called just to see how I was doing and reiterate that it's likely just an extra-tough recovery but that - regardless of how I'm feeling tomorrow - she'd like to see me just to be sure. And then she double-checked to make sure that I had her pager information and that I knew to call absolutely anytime if I started to feel any worse.

It's been such a tough week, but it makes all the difference to know that there are such wonderful people taking care of me.

Today's been a series of drug cycles. When everything's working, I have two 'good' hours where I can cuddle with Briony or talk to Geoff but I still feel pretty lousy and have no energy at all. The next two hours while the last round of drugs is wearing off and the news ones aren't quite working yet, I'm too sick to lift my head off the pillow. But with every cycle, I seem to be improving just a little bit. I'm on an upswing now and actually considering some tea and toast... CONSIDERING. We'll see.

The worst news of the day is that my surgeon recommends staying completely off coffee for another three weeks just to be safe. That is the craziest talk I've ever heard, but I'm sick enough to listen.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At March 09, 2010 5:15 PM, Blogger Elleah said...

Kiera calls my Dad "Baba" because he always sung "Ba Ba Black Sheep" to her. Baba is actually Ukranian for Grandma, so Briony is using it correctly!

 
At March 09, 2010 5:21 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Sorry the easy recovery escaped you and hope things soon turn around. Glad you talked to the surgeon.

 
At March 09, 2010 8:26 PM, Blogger ka said...

Want me to drink extra Starbucks in your honour for the next three weeks?

Hey - I'm here to help! ;)

 
At March 10, 2010 9:46 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Elleah - That's so cute. I don't think it's coincidence that the words for Mom, Dad, Grandma, etc sound so similar in so many languages (and are made from sounds that are extra-easy for babies to make).

Marilyn - Thanks for all your support from afar :)

Kari-Ann - That's just mean...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home