Friday, October 23, 2009

The Amazing Crimefighting Baby

Okay, pour yourself a cup of coffee for this one.

Briony's still sick. Yesterday was no fun. I finally decided to call her pediatrician around 4 pm and got an appointment for this morning - just to be sure. My mommy-powered spidey senses were telling me that it was time (pretty cool that I have those now, hey?). So we powered through another evening, another night, and were just about to finally collapse into bed around midnight when Briony started crying again. I checked the clock and it was time for more baby drugs, so I kicked Geoff in the general direction of Briony's room to go and take care of it. He did, and stopped by the bathroom to wash his hands when he noticed our backyard light go on. We've been trying to figure out what kind of neighbourhood creature has been tearing up our garbage, so he looked out the window - and was more than a little surprised to see that it wasn't a raccoon (my theory) or a badger (Geoff's totally WRONG theory) that was activating our motion light. It was a guy in a black hoodie trying to open our back door.

Um, NOT GOOD.

The door was locked, so the dude in the hoodie gave up, turned around, and exited through our back gate - pausing to see if my car was locked. Then Geoff watched as he kicked in the neighbour's garage door and started using a flashlight to look around in there. By this time, Geoff was in the middle of a 911 call, and gave them a play by play as this hoodlum moved through our neighbours' backyards and stayed in one - presumably trying to get into that house too.

Within minutes, the cops were here and taking Geoff's statement. All of a sudden, there was a flurry of radio activity and the cop in our house lunged for the door and ran outside to join a bunch of fellow cops (and a canine unit dog) in chasing down and tackling Hoodie Dude, who had just snuck through between two houses.

So they got him. He apparently didn't really stand a chance because it was an extraordinarily slow police night. There was a cruiser already in our area, with within just a few minutes, they'd quietly blocked off our entire block - so there was no way he was going to walk off without encountering the cops.

The weird thing is that I totally saw him earlier in the day. Some guy came to our front door selling coffee and all my common sense-powered spidey senses were just OFF. I made a few mental notes about the time and what he looked like. And when I mentioned all this to the cops, they wrote it down and then looked at me and said that my description was a dead match with the guy they'd just arrested. So he'd been casing the neighbourhood ahead of time.

Um, CREEPY.

What gets even weirder is that I'd been kind of freaking out about a break-in all week. I don't know why. It generally doesn't bother me when Geoff works nights, but I was super nervous and extra vigilent during his night shifts this week - and woke up more than once after dreaming that someone was trying to break into our house. Yucky.

Anyway. By 2 am, the cops were done with their questions and paperwork and all the members of our little family were safely back in our beds. Oh, and very grateful for our baby who woke us up to be able to witness all of this. It was a ginormous pain in the ass to be the ones who had to deal with all the police stuff, but so very cool that our dramatic little story had such a happy ending - with amazingly fast response time and an arrest.

So after a couple of hours of sleep, we woke up to a still-sick baby. I very sadly and reluctantly cancelled Katie Day - and yoga - and Geoff called in for a 'family sick' day. We took her to the pediatrician and discovered that Briony has a double ear infection. Apparently, we caught it very early and so the antibiotics should do their thing and start helping very soon. As traumatized as I am about having such a sick baby girl, it was a good mommy validation moment to know that I'd called the doctor at exactly the right time and done exactly what I needed to do as a mommy to take the best care of her possible.

We're settling in for a long weekend here. Briony's still a very sick little girl. I'm actually barely hanging on myself, with lots of the same symptoms that she has - and majorly behind on sleep. I have a couple of client projects, a school project, and some business stuff to get done. And Geoff's being a pretty good sport about all of it - even watching Briony so that I didn't have to cancel my massage this afternoon.

We'll be fine. It's just no fun. But we have a duty here to nurse this tiny crimefighter back to health, for the sake of world safety :)

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At October 23, 2009 6:26 PM, Blogger Aaron Scott said...

That is SO AWESOME
A crime-fighting Briony!
But infections suck

(haiku comments are the new orange)

 
At October 23, 2009 8:47 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Just goes to show you that your intuitions are right on:) Geoff had so many ear infections as a kid. Sorry that Briony is starting young with them.

 
At October 23, 2009 10:38 PM, Blogger ka said...

I LOVE spidey-sense. I have it to, now. We just live out in the sticks so I haven't got to put it to such amazing use yet. :)

 
At October 23, 2009 11:16 PM, Blogger Black Out Photography said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At October 24, 2009 9:55 PM, Blogger gloria said...

thats crazy man! time to move back to niv

 
At October 24, 2009 11:25 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

That is SO CRAZY!!! I'm glad to hear that everyone is safe, and the hooded dude has been caught. Way to go guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home