Friday, October 09, 2009

The Thanksgiving Elf

Okay, so despite the smile on my face, it was a rough morning. I was awake and dealing with gallbladder issues for most of last night and ended up getting around 3 or 4 hours of sleep. That is NOT enough to function properly. But I dragged my weary ass out of bed this morning and got myself ready to go. About 20 minutes before Katie was scheduled to arrive (so that I could leave for my doctor's appointment), my phone rang. It was Katie's number. My heart dropped into my stomach. Maybe lower.

Lindsay to God: Are you kidding me??? I NEEDED her today, and now she's calling to tell me that she's sick.

Lindsay to Self: DO NOT CRY. DO NOT CRY. DO NOT CRY.

Katie to Lindsay: Hey, I'm just at Starbucks and wondering what I can pick up for you.

Lindsay to God: Are you kidding me??? Why do you take such good care of me? And why do I always doubt that you will?

Lindsay to Katie: Yup. A double tall nonfat caramel macchiato, please.

It was such an extraordinary little moment that I determined to spend the rest of my morning making other people happy. I went to my appointment and then ran a crapload of errands (without a baby! crazy efficient!), but made sure to smile and make conversation and wish everyone I met a happy thanksgiving. I even stopped to pick up some flowers and made three quick stops to drop them off at the homes of a couple of people who I love and who I knew needed something to make their day just a little bit happier. I felt like a little thanksgiving elf. Except that I tried to be super-stealth about my drop-offs, and totally failed. Oh well :)

I got home to a sleeping baby, a Katie who was washing my kitchen floor, and the email I needed from a client sitting in my inbox. I sat down to get an hour or two of work in before Katie Day is over, and while I worked I got an email from a media contact (who's usually the dictionary definition of a crotchety old man) telling me that it was great working with me on the campaign we wrapped up today. And then I got TWO emails from TWO potential new clients who would like TWO meetings with me next week to discuss working together.

How cool is that? :)

Wishing you all a Thanksgiving weekend full of the same smiles and surprise blessings that I've experienced today. You all deserve it. And you're each just a couple (hundred) of the reasons why I'm thankful this year.

(Here's two more reasons:)

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At October 09, 2009 3:19 PM, Blogger Elleah said...

That is wonderful!

 
At October 09, 2009 7:46 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Bless Katie for blessing you and you for passing it on.

 
At October 09, 2009 8:17 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

What a great Thanksgiving story Lindsay - thanks for sharing.

 
At October 09, 2009 10:33 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Happy Thanksgiving! And yes, we certainly have much to be thankful for. :-)

 
At October 11, 2009 10:03 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I need a babysitter that washes my floors. What?!??!

By the way, I LOVE that picture of you guys. Briony is such a card.

Happy Thanksgiving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home