Friday, October 16, 2009

This One's For The Girls

It's that time of year again, my lovely lady blog readers.

DO NOT skip over this post. I know you want to. But DO NOT.

Now answer me honestly... When was your last Pap Test?

If you don't know the answer:
That's totally okay (and let's face it, it's not like you threw a party and made it a big occasion to mark on your calendar). Call 1.866.616.8805 and they can tell you, because all Pap Test records and results are catalogued by the Manitoba Cervical Cancer Screening Program. Then you can sort yourself into the appropriate category below.

If your answer is 'more than two years':
Okay. No sudden movements. Take a couple of deep breaths. We can still be friends. But I want you to remove your hand from your mouse, reach over and grab the phone, and book a damn appointment already. Now. Your friends and family love you too much for you to put it off any longer.

(I'm assuming that you're fully aware that the reason for regular Pap Tests is to help prevent full-blown cervical cancer. Did you know that 80% of cervical cancer is diagnosed in women who haven't had a Pap Test for more than five years? Scary stuff because we live in a country with a pretty sweet health care system.)

Don't like your doctor? Don't HAVE a doctor? Totally okay. I'll let you put that hand back on your mouse and click here to visit TellEveryWoman.ca and find a clinic close to your house that is offering walk-in appointments for Pap Tests next week - October 19 to 23.

If your answer is 'less than two years':
Congratulations! You're officially awesome. But you're not off the hook. Now I want you to pick up the phone anyway, and call a woman who you love - a friend, a sister, your mom - and ask them the same question I just asked you.

I know it's kind of weird and maybe awkward to talk about, but WE ALL NEED TO GET OVER IT. It's too important not to.

So my last Pap Test was in March 2009. When was yours?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At October 16, 2009 9:27 AM, Blogger Allison Friesen said...

It's great to bring awareness to this because so many don't get their regular pap tests.

 
At October 16, 2009 12:19 PM, Blogger Heather said...

SAMIES!! Mine was March 2009 as well! Way to be awesome.

 
At October 16, 2009 2:51 PM, Blogger Tannis said...

Already booked for Thursday...

 
At October 16, 2009 3:35 PM, Blogger ka said...

Ugh. There's been more poking and prodding in that department in the last, say, two years than I care to think about. I can't remember the exact month, but I know I'm good. My doctor told me so...

 
At October 16, 2009 4:06 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Glad you blogged about it. I spread the word today at my work place - hey girls, free walk-in PAPs next week in Steinbach! The female doctors are the ones doing them - just line up...well, you know the drill. :)

Mine last one was November 2008.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home