Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Much Ado About Milk

The internet is abuzz this morning over an article that appeared in this morning's New York Times entitled Ban the Breast Pump.

It's an interesting opinion piece, and worth a quick read. The comments people are making about it are even more interesting. I'm obviously biased, as a mommy who breastfed and pumped for only a couple of weeks before making the switch to formula. It was the right decision for both Briony and I. And while I get a little more comfortable with my decision every week, I still feel awfully defensive. It was nice to see a piece that wasn't necessarily pro-formula, but pro-do what's right for you and your baby.

What's so fascinating about the comments is the outrage from breastfeeding moms who feel they're under attack. I didn't see this article that way at all (though the author was obviously being inflammatory for the purposes of stimulating real discussion about this). You can just tell which camp is used to being attacked all the time - hehe. I don't think anyone is saying that we should go back to the 1950s and get rid of breastfeeding. There are obviously benefits. But I think we need to get over our issues about giving it up when it's just not working anymore - and start accepting that 'not working anymore' could be a lifestyle or psychologically-based decision for new moms.

It's just like everything about being a mom, isn't it? You feel judged over the amount of weight you gain while you're pregnant (or don't). You feel judged over whether you chose to deliver with a midwife or an OB. You feel judged over your pain control decisions. You feel judged over whether or not you have a c-section. You feel judged over whether or not you have your baby on a schedule. And then, of course, there's this epic battle between breastfeeding and formula.

The joke is that BOTH sides of each of these 'debates' can feel equally attacked. And in so many cases, we don't *choose* sides - they are chosen for us by circumstances, by our babies, by our bodies. So why can't we all just get along?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At April 08, 2009 8:44 AM, Blogger Allison Friesen said...

I've definitely felt attacked when it comes to my decision to use formula. But, it was the best thing for us and I don't regret my decision at all.

 
At April 08, 2009 9:25 AM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

AMEN! Leave the judgement out and get on with our lives with joy and gladness:)

 
At April 08, 2009 9:48 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

Amen sister - why do people have to judge our decisions about our own babies? After my second was born the nurse in the hospital berated me for an hour for not breastfeeding my baby - it was 25 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. "You will NEVER bond with your baby." Yah, right, my firstborn was 2.8 lbs, he was never breastfed and he bonded tigher than Elmer's Glue!

Judgement can be so hurtful. Let people be. Let's all remember not to judge others.

 
At April 08, 2009 11:09 AM, Blogger Charlene said...

I agree with you completely. I felt and feel judged about everything to do with both of my pregnancies, the weight I gained with Emma, the weight I'm losing with this one, the foods I'm eating, choosing to switch to formula when Emma was only 6 weeks old...all of these things have been determined by my body, or by my baby...and I am going to do what feels right for both :)
thanks for posting this!

 
At April 08, 2009 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definately have had my moments of feeling defensive over my baby-related choices. I agree, each to his own, and just do WHAT WORKS for YOU and BABY.

 
At April 08, 2009 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and that being said, I will NEVER forget the strange and absolutely disgusted feeling of pumping for the first time. I hid in the basement, and NEVER let Ryan see me do it. Ew. But I would do it again, admittedly.

 
At April 16, 2009 10:39 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Great post Lindsay! So glad you brought this article to our attention! And I've actually just posted my comments about this on my blog (just to get the word out). If you have a moment to stop by . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home