Sunday, March 29, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dad

Happy Birthday, Dad.

I'm not really sure what to say about your 52nd birthday yesterday... We threw you a little party, knowing full well that it was completely inadequate.

Throughout this past year, you have defined the role of Best Husband, Best Dad, and Best Grandpa - for this and all future generations. It sounds dramatic, and I know that you'd shrug it off. But it's true. Mom has been battling breast cancer for over a year now, and you did not miss a single test, consultation, chemo treatment, radiation appointment, surgery... You completely rearranged your life to support your family. You've been a rock for Mom, and for our entire family. I don't think you'll ever know how much that has meant to me. Just knowing that you were taking care of her like that kept me and my baby healthy as I learned to be The Daughter Of A Woman With Breast Cancer and an Expectant New Mother at the same time.

I don't know how to thank you (which is probably why I found myself bawling in the card aisle the other day, frustrated with Hallmark's inability to say what I knew I couldn't just yet). I just love and respect you. A lot. And we can leave it there.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At March 29, 2009 8:20 PM, Anonymous Erin said...

Aw, that made me cry! Happy birthday, Lindsay's Dad :)

 
At March 29, 2009 10:05 PM, Blogger ka said...

Okay, so I love the pic. I think that's the official "man-hold" of a baby. Whenever I give Scarlett to Kris so I can do the dishes I come into the living room and see them sitting EXACTLY like that. And on those days that I'm not on the ball and he manages to rock her to sleep without me noticing (because Mama has RULES and RULE NUMBER ONE is Mama don't have all day to rock babies to sleep - they just get plunked in the crib), anyhow, on those days, that is EXACTLY how she goes to sleep.

Dads are the best, though. And grandbabies are their reward. :)

 
At March 29, 2009 10:43 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Wow, I don't know your dad, but what a great tribute. Relationships with dads are tricky things, and I'm seeing now as a dad myself how that becomes true. Glad to hear that you got a good one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home