Sunday, April 05, 2009

In Praise Of Sleep

So my Friday 'I'm starting to feel better' post may have been a tiny bit premature. I got sicker again that evening, and fought symptoms on and off again all weekend. We think we *might* know what it was (nothing contagious, which is a relief when you have a small baby at home), but it's still just running its course. I'm finding it incredibly frustrating, but at the same time I'm smart enough to be grateful that I'm 90% better and just kind of tired now.

At the same time, Briony's sleeping is getting kind of funky and that SUCKS. This is by no means a complaint - I know that we've been blessed with a baby who caught on to this whole 'sleeping through the night' thing early and easily - but here's the deal... Consider this a little mystery for you experienced mommies out there :)

We have a pretty solid sleep routine happening over at the Wright residence. Briony typically goes to bed sometime between 9.00 and 9.30, and she wakes up somewhere between 8.00 and 9.00 the next morning. Last week, she was starting to get up a little earlier - more like 7.30 - but I was obviously fine with that. Now she's still getting up early - between 7.00 and 7.30 - but she's also starting to do this strange half-waking-up thing during the night. A couple of times per night, she'll start crying with her eyes closed. All it takes to calm her down is to stick a pacifier in her mouth. She stops crying immediately, and is solidly back to sleep within a minute or two, so I can pluck out the pacifier (I have this thing with her sleeping with it) and go back to bed.

Again, not complaining, but it's been hard to get used to that kind of interrupted sleep again, and I'm definitely feeling my fibro symptoms more since this started. Any deep thoughts or words of wisdom would be appreciated. Right now, I'm operating under the assumption that either (a) this will go away as mysteriously as it began, or (b) it will get worse and will become obvious that it's teething or readiness for solid food or something very, very normal.

Before you ask:
- We haven't started her on solid foods yet. Our big girl is still very happy with her regular amount of formula, so I haven't seen a need to mess around with that yet.
- We're still swaddling her to sleep at night, and she still *loves* it.
- She's still drooling and chewing a lot, but no sign of any teeth on the way any time soon.
- Her daytime napping has remained totally normal and as routine as my mostly-unscheduled baby can be (which, for the record, is becoming remarkably routine).
- She's still normal and happy and Briony-ish during the day.

Thanks, Mommy Friends! :)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At April 06, 2009 10:36 AM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

I don't really have any advice but Geoff woke up during the night until he was nearly 2 yrs. old...hereditary:) I think I just patted him back to sleep. I likely fell back asleep quicker than you do.
It likely has little to do with her feeds but more to do with her 'awakening' brain becoming more active. Another parenting challenge!

 
At April 06, 2009 12:53 PM, Blogger Elleah said...

It's always hard to know why a baby suddenly changes their sleep pattern. Kiera has done that several times and I still don't know if it was teething or just random.

 
At April 06, 2009 4:57 PM, Blogger ka said...

I vote for teeth. And remember, the worst part of teething is WAY before you actually see the little white bumps start to appear (speaking from my experience - an I have an almost eleven month old, so I'm CLEARLY a genius on mothering :). Scarlett is totally a "sleep through the night" girl and she's been doing something similar lately. It's hit and miss, maybe every third night and it's just once - anywhere between 3 and 5:30. A quick snuggle and she's back to sleep.

That said, she's getting four teeth. Of her top four, the far left and second from the right are pretty much through, but the other two aren't far behind. Poor thing. She got her two bottom ones totally at the same time, and now the top four basically at the same time. Go hard or go home... :)

 
At April 06, 2009 10:03 PM, Anonymous Kendra said...

I still have that problem with Cassius. He still wakes up at night and he's almost two. He use to wake up every 45 minutes when he was born, but when he was three months he had his first two teeth. He was born teething I think. Harper on the other hand has been like Briony. She wakes up only once during the night for her soother. Once isn't bad, but it seems some nights I'm just too tired to walk to her room to give it to her! I wish she knew to grab it and put it back in her mouth already!

 
At April 07, 2009 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

James was all over the place with his sleeping patterns - so I may be of no help. However, I DO recall (as James was a winter baby) that come Spring, and longer daytime hours, even though his room was very dark, he seemed to notice the longer days. Eventually I put a dark towel over his already closed blind, just to make it super dark. That actually helped... until the next sleep issue arose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home