Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Good News

My mom was supposed to be having chemo tomorrow. Our whole family was kind of messed up about it - we were encouraging her to do it, of course, but every treatment has been taking just a little more of her. It's been hard to watch. But it's been harder to realize that this chemo was going to put her out of commission right when the babies are coming. I think that hurt her even more than it hurt us.

My parents saw the oncologist yesterday morning, and learned that he decided to cancel her sixth and final treatment, and move on to radiation as soon as she's strong enough (and as soon as they can get her in). They're confident that they've killed all the cancer cells with the first five treatments. Which means that she's done chemo! It's a milestone we've been anticipating for so many months, it's kind of hard to believe that it's here.

It means so many things for us... It means that she's not going to lose her hair that's starting to grow back in. It means that she's going to be healthy enough to help with the babies. It means that there's still a tiny hope she might be done radiation before Christmas. As strange and theologically unsound as this may be to say, it feels like evidence that God hasn't forgotten about our family, and that he didn't screw up when he chose these babies' due dates. It's GOOD NEWS.

I hosted my mom, my sister, my aunts and my cousin, and my grandma for lunch yesterday. It ended up being a little celebration, because of my mom's news. My dad came in for a while when he dropped off my mom, and I missed seeing my parents smile like that - not just a laughing-at-a-joke smile, but the kind that's shining with hope and joy.

Later, Geoff and I met up with a few friends from the Athens Joints in Motion team and had dinner at Pizzeria Gusto (still one of my very favourite dinner spots). It was fun just to catch up with them - we heard all about Brad & Laura's wedding plans, and met Tara's boyfriend, and planned our next mini-reunion.

Now, I'm off to Cocoon for lunch (just can't stay away - hehe), then I have a pedicure and a bikini wax booked for this afternoon (too much information?). Geoff and I are heading over to Reynold & Tammy's for coffee tonight for our one-year marriage check-in (Reynold is the pastor who married us). I'm thinking that if I'm knocked up, things are probably going okay... But it will be fun to hang out with them - they're expecting Baby #2 later in November.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At October 22, 2008 11:44 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Hooray!!! That's amazing news! I'm so happy for all of you!!!

 
At October 22, 2008 12:45 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

Fantastic news! What timing God has. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who planned a wax right before her due date :)

 
At October 22, 2008 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! I was hoping the oncologist would think she had 'had enough' chemo. I'm also hoping she has good energy to enjoy these two babies - even before Christmas.
Sounds like a great two days:)

 
At October 22, 2008 5:59 PM, Blogger Jolene said...

That's great news. My mom and I were just talking about your family today. We both were praying that your mom would get to really enjoy the babies. So glad to hear she's been given a little boost! Hope you are enjoying your quiet moments before life takes a quantum leap...of course it is a great leap. :)

 
At October 22, 2008 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy for your mom and your family, of course. Yay!!

 
At October 22, 2008 10:05 PM, Blogger Amber said...

Gooooo Sherri! I'm so happy for your family Lindsay! Give your mum a big hug from me and my mum (who was also super happy and sends her very best wishes along).

 
At October 23, 2008 10:19 PM, Blogger Danae said...

That IS great news! I hope and pray she'll be able to enjoy her time with those precious newborn grandchildren :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home