Friday, October 10, 2008

Saying Goodbye (for now)

Today is an incredibly sad day for me, because I'm genuinely going to miss coming to Cocoon every day. I love my job. What makes it easier is knowing that it's not goodbye - it's just goodbye for now. It also helps that I'm meeting Christine and Dolly for breakfast before we all start work today - a friendlier start to an emotional day.

I've been working in advertising since I was 19 years old, the last three of those years at Cocoon. It's become such a huge part of who I am that it scares me a little bit. I realized this week that I don't remember the last time I haven't worked. I'm that girl who still logs a few hours from home on a sick day - unless I'm recovering from major surgery (and even then, I've tried my best to keep up with what's going on in the office). And a vacation day means that I've literally left the country, or at least the province.

I don't know how to have a day off. And that is evidenced by my schedule for next week, already full of appointments, moms groups to check out, and other assorted activities in an effort to make my electronic calendar look less EMPTY. Maybe I'll be able to pick one day and delete all the pretty coloured boxes off of it - those boxes that tell me I'm important, and I need to be somewhere. Baby steps.

I need to remember that an empty calendar does not equal an empty life. In fact, the truth is probably quite the opposite. I know that my life is about to become richer and fuller than it's ever been. I just need to stop being intimidated by all the blank white spaces.

My career will still be here in twelve months. But for right now... I have a baby on the way. (I'm pretty sure that's what I'm supposed say.)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At October 10, 2008 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It feels like a huge challenge right now, having empty space in your life, but trust me, once you've got a couple kids and all the stuff that goes along with them...a blank space on the calendar is a miracle : ) You are going to do just fine, sweety. You are good at adapting. Enjoy the ride!

 
At October 10, 2008 9:06 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I hope you have a great last day today, Lindsay. And like Erin said, you will be praying for a blank space on your calendar.

:)

 
At October 10, 2008 1:58 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

I'm sure that you're both right. You're smart ladies :)

 
At October 10, 2008 10:24 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Congrats Linds! Best of luck on the upcoming new adventure. It's a blast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home