Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Identity Crisis

It's official. Geoff and I are registered for Athens. Kind of excited and exhausted and terrified all at the same time, because that means I need to get my ass in gear to be able to run the 10K four months from now. I did all the sign-up stuff online last night, which ended up being super-funny because I had to do it all with this strange name - because by the time we're travelling, I'll be married and will no longer be Lindsay Hildebrandt.

And I completely forgot that they'd instructed me to do that, because I had another weird moment this morning when I checked my email and I had a message confirming travel details for Lindsay Wright. I was like 'WHO?!' And then it all connected again, but it was still strange. Even though that change is still three months away, I've had a few moments today where I think I've been mourning the loss of ME just a little bit. I'm so excited to marry Geoff, but it's a little bit funny to think that my name is going to be different. I have a lot invested in being me (and at least some of it is good!).

Another weird thing that happened yesterday... I stopped at Superstore after work to pick up a few things, and I had midway through my shopping when I heard this announcement over the intercom: 'All shoppers and employees should evacuate the building immediately. Please remain calm and move quickly to the nearest exit.' Apparently, there was a gas leak or something... Anyway. I went next door to Rona and picked up some Tim's and looked around for a half-hour, then returned to Superstore (which had since reopened). Call me crazy, but I had been almost done my shopping and I did NOT feel like starting all over again somewhere else - and having to go to two or three different stores to pick up all the random things I could get in one stop at Superstore.

I walked to the deli section and retrieved my basket from the floor, exactly where I'd left it - and had an awesome time zipping through the almost-empty store in record time. It was kind of surreal to walk through the aisles with randomly abandoned carts and baskets left all over the place. Almost like the rapture or something. (Do all Superstore shoppers go to heaven?)

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At June 27, 2007 7:06 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

SO....I was curious about Bethel cuz that's where Meredith has conducted the senior choir for the past 2 years! Yes...I am a curious Menno...always looking for that connection! AND I FOUND ONE! (I really needed the exclamation marks and the caps this time)

 
At June 27, 2007 7:08 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Of course all Superstore shoppers go to heaven..duh.

 
At June 27, 2007 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AND...the comments you will continue to hear after marrying Geoff: "So you married Mr. (W)right?!" "So you are (W)right even when you are wrong?!" "And how do you spell that..with an R?!", etc. Perhaps the best thing is that it is a shorter name. My last name was Saufley and because no one could spell that unusual name, I was so relieved to become a Wright! ENJOY!

The feeling that you are losing a bit of yourself by assuming another name is one of those little 'losses', I guess. We don't actually lose; we add to...

 
At June 27, 2007 9:00 PM, Blogger gloria said...

Should I be concerned that you were thinking about the rapture and you had been left behind?

 
At June 27, 2007 9:53 PM, Blogger it's a gong show... said...

Oh Lindsay, you make me laugh!

It's just a darn good thing you didn't marry my hubbie or you would be Lindsay Lindsay. Or you could just go by Lindsay (like Madonna).

 
At June 27, 2007 9:55 PM, Blogger it's a gong show... said...

I guess there would be bigger issues at hand if you were marrying my husband..the name thing seems kinda minor. lol

 
At June 27, 2007 10:28 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Mags - Your menno connections never cease to amaze me. You should stay in Steinbach forever, they NEED you there! (Especially because you have a Superstore now too...)

Marilyn - Every single person who makes the Mr. Wright joke thinks they invented it... Sigh. It could be worse, I know. And I have to spell my last name now anyway - at least I'll get to spell a SHORTER last name soon.

Gloria - Notice that I didn't call you to check ;)

Brandy - The 'Lindsay' idea was brilliant. The 'marrying your husband' idea wasn't. But you get a bonus point for comparing me to Madonna, however weakly. And heck, 2 for 3 ain't bad for a Wednesday.

 
At June 28, 2007 9:55 AM, Blogger Erin said...

It wasn't even so much me as my poor father who was confused after I got married. He kept calling my work and asking for "Erin Dyck" and they had no idea who that was. It was pretty funny. You are getting a much better deal in the last name department than I did. I guess mine was a step up, but only a very small one. Still doesn't make me feel very professional in the business department : ) Maybe if I get famous one day we can change it.

 
At June 28, 2007 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to point out - you said the A-- word again. You know what happened the last time you said it in public.
love yo mamma

 
At June 28, 2007 10:40 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Hey, I'm a little proud of that! Those people in tuxes needed to loosen up a little. I paved the way to a much funner event, where people were free to speak in their natural vocabulary... And relaxed people write bigger cheques - LOL :)

 
At June 28, 2007 5:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

All I can think about is all the poor ice cream that was left in the isles at Superstore.... what a waste! :(

 
At June 29, 2007 9:34 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I know exactly how you feel about the name thing. You've been Lindsay Hildebrandt your whole life. That's why I kept my maiden name as a middle name.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home