Saturday, June 23, 2007

Small Dark Cloud

Call it waking up on the wrong side of the bed or whatever you want to, but some days you seriously can't win. I woke up happily enough, no big deal, but ever since I left my house this morning it's like there's been this tiny little cloud of DOOM over top of me.

Oh, be quiet. I know I'm dramatic. Humour me :)

First, I got up early and got ready to go meet Geoff - who informed me when I arrived that he had double-booked himself, so I got a little bit kicked to the curb (which left me a little bit unimpressed).

Brunch plans cancelled (and all dressed and done up with nothing to do), I went to go cheer myself up by window shopping for shoes. The man working at the store was super-nice and showing me some of their new shoes - including a pair I fell in love with, but was more than I could justify spending. It was at this point that the nice old man smiled at me and asked, 'When are you due?'

OH. MY. GOD. I know that older, less cool people may be blind to current fashion trends, but I AM NOT the only person in this city wearing loser-fitting tank tops. I looked him right in the eye, and answered flatly, 'I'm not.' To which he replied, 'Well, it looks like you're wearing maternity clothes.'

I suspect that, at this point, I probably should have dropped the pretty shoes and stormed out of the store. I was so incredibly offended - and feeling really, REALLY bad about myself. So I did what any self-respecting girl would do. And I bought the expensive shoes to cheer myself up. And headed over to McD's for BAD FOOD so I could smother my emotions in grease and carbs.

I was the second car in line at the drive-thru took, and I placed my order quickly - but was informed that their juice machine was broken, which made me cranky. And then I pulled up to the pick-up window and waited - literally - 10 minutes for my food. I was seething. But still too polite to be mean to the drive-thru girl who finally gave me my 'food.' Argh. Sometimes I wish I could unleash the inner bitch, but I knew that it wasn't her fault... And just because I was miserable, there was no reason to wreck her day too.

Anyway. After that, I did what any self-respecting young professional would do. I went home and changed. And then I came into the office to bury myself in work.

After two and half hours of productivity, I'm feeling much better about myself. And much less upset with Geoff and the rest of the world. Now, I'm off to go show my support to The Boy at his car show (which I seriously don't understand the purpose of... but whatever).

And hopefully enjoy a little bit of sunshine :)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At June 23, 2007 4:36 PM, Blogger gloria said...

Oh sweetheart! If I ate a BigMac for everytime someone asked me when I was due or congratulated me on some phantom pregnancy,... oh wait... I DID!

Your day sounds like mine so far, and I haven't even left the house. After I am done scrubbing the house (which makes me feel like I have accomplished something good in my life and am therefore worth merit), it is going to be a sofa/movie/blankie and pillow day for me.

Nope, no releationship building for me, just relationship sustaining by staying away from people on a funky day.

 
At June 24, 2007 4:16 PM, Blogger ka said...

I had to work all weekend... So no ray of sunshine coming out of this lady... Between twisters, lightning shows, power outages, 50th BBQs for our station in Altona, and a serious lack of part time staff with grads going on... Well... I just keep telling myself that it will all be worth it if (no WHEN) I'm on board a plane to Cowtown this weekend to see my boy.

 
At June 24, 2007 9:03 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Hope you had a MUCH better day today!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home