Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Manic Tuesday

I'm having my Monday on Tuesday this week.

Yesterday was a pretty good day. Actually, now that I stop and really think about it, the morning was TERRIBLE - so it must say something about the rest of the day that I just labelled it 'pretty good,' don't you think? Either that, or I've seriously changed my definitions of 'good' and 'bad' days given recent events... :)

Sunday night was one of the worst nights our little family has had in a long, long time. Briony went to bed super late (not for a lack of trying) and then was up twice during the night and then decided that 6 am was morning. It was beyond UGH. And have I mentioned that I'm sleeping on the couch? It just doesn't work for both Geoff + I to be in bed right now with his stupid messed up leg, so I've been on the couch for almost a week now. It sucks. My body is SCREAMING at me, but there's really no better option - and we all know it's super temporary. Anyway. I digress. Fortunately, Geoff + Libby were up around 8 am and sent me back to bed (my REAL bed) until 10 am. Briony + Libby + I ventured out then for a couple of hours of shopping.

That might have been the worst mommy mistake I've made so far.

Briony was in a foul mood and we had our first-ever Screaming Toddler Throwing a Tantrum in Public Experience. I know it's a right of passage, but I was reeeeally hoping to avoid it altogether just by being an awesome mom.

HA.

Anyway. The good news is that we made it home, fed her some lunch, and then she had a perfectly uneventful afternoon nap. I managed to shower and get some client work done. Libby did a Starbucks run and delivered a Pumpkin Spice Latte to calm my nerves. And the rest of the day was actually pretty great. I ended it off with a Girls Night Out - Pizzeria Gusto and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest at MTC - with my mom and her two sisters. Lovely. I may have even had a smile on my face when I got home.

I had a super hard time falling asleep, but when I did, I slept until 9.30 am. So did Briony. OH GLORIOUS SLEEP. Except for the part where I'd been planning to be at work for 10 am today.

So maybe scratch all that. I'm having TWO Mondays this week.

After my abrupt realization that I really should have set my alarm, I rushed around getting ready this morning, and my hair looks like shit in this ridiculously humid weather (totally one of those rare days when I curse myself for getting rid all my hair because just throwing it up used to be an awesome option on days like this). I ran into Starbucks and witnessed what I presume was a freelance client interviewing someone new (and suspiciously writer-looking... I totally walked up and said hi because I'm a little bit bitchy like that). I then drove downtown in the pouring rain, parked, and navigated the area of Portage + Main with an umbrella in one hand and a coffee in the other on my way to the office (an Olympic feat if there ever was one, and also probably how Mary Poppins started). My day has been a mix of interesting meetings + surly coworkers, but I know I get to leave before 2 pm for a massage today.

It's really almost impossible to be grumpy when you know you're less than two hours away from a massage appointment. And that's what I'm clinging to today.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At October 26, 2010 1:44 PM, Blogger Danae said...

craziness... glad your day ended on a good note :) Kids totally have a way of humbling us, I think... I was going to have kids who never had a tantrum, were always calm and respectful... Yeah, that DID NOT happen!

 
At October 26, 2010 2:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You're scaring me! I don't wanna come home!

However, enjoy your massage! (Which may or may not have happened already...this time thing is confusing me...)

 
At October 26, 2010 5:20 PM, Anonymous momma said...

Love the Mary Poppins analogy. Yeah, temper tantrums aren't fun but apparently part of growing up :(

 
At October 27, 2010 7:03 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Danae - My list like this is definitely growing... :)

Katie - Don't be afraid. You know she'll be super excited to see her Katie!

Mom - Apparently. But why can't it all be fun?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home