Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Whaaaaat

I was SO MAD at God this morning.

I drove to the hospital in a lousy mood, preparing myself for another long day of waiting around and attempting to keep some perspective. Of course, I couldn't find a parking spot anywhere. It was supremely annoying, and I sent up a quick prayer (that in retrospect was possibly more like a dare) that I would find a convenient spot to park my car. And the longer I drove around, the angrier I got. Seriously. God couldn't come through on our prayers for Geoff's surgery, so why on earth would I expect that he could possibly care about something as insignificant as a parking spot. People passing by my car must have thought I was CRAZY because I was full-on yelling at God as I drove around. Just to prove my point, I circled back around to the best parking spots. I was mid-shriek when I rounded the corner and - OF COURSE - not one, not two, but THREE cars began pulling out of their prime parking spots.

Okay, okay. I GET IT. That was my first clue that maybe - just maybe - things were going to turn out okay today.

I spent the morning helping Geoff get cleaned up, then we took a little field trip up to his ward to say hi. Just before lunchtime, my parents brought Briony for a visit - it was SO GOOD to see and cuddle my monkey for the hour we had together.

Around 1.15, I left to go get Libby from the airport. I was having a deju vu parking moment in the parkade there when my BlackBerry informed me of a new text message. It was from Geoff, and he was letting me know that he was going for surgery immediately.

WHAAAAT.

So I picked up Libby, we grabbed lunch to go, quickly stopped in at home to drop off her bags, and raced back to the hospital. We were there in plenty of time to greet Geoff after he was out of recovery.

The surgery went perfectly, and if I live to be 200 years old, I will never understand how it all happened. There was no logical reason he got in for surgery today. All I know is that we prayed for a miracle to happen today, and we got our miracle. THANK YOU, GOD. (Oh, and sorry for yelling at you. Though you should probably know that I won't hesitate to do it again.)

Geoff's in a considerable amount of pain tonight. His nurse (a lovely gentleman named Lindsay - I COULDN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP) promised to keep the morphine coming all night long, so I left feeling like he was in good hands - but hating that I couldn't do anything to make it better.

If he's able to manage on T3s and get around on crutches - and if the initial healing of the surgical site looks okay - he'll get to come home as early as tomorrow or almost definitely the day after. Briony is tentatively scheduled to come back tomorrow evening too (and Libby arrived from Kamloops today) so we might just have an extra-full house by tomorrow night. And I could not be happier about it :)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At October 19, 2010 10:55 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

You need to read my recent post titled "Resonate" - it's a few down already. It's a comment about deja vu and I thought of you when I read this. I love how honest you are with God and think God totally appreciates your realness and how human you are. Love how this all worked out today :)

 
At October 20, 2010 12:16 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Glad to hear surgery went well Lindsay. You have been in my thoughts through all of this.

And if Nikki is reading this . . . I miss your blog! Do you remember me? We've met a few times face to face. If you're willing to add me to your list of readers please let me know at larnikk@gmail.com but of course if not, I understand just the same. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home