Sunday, October 17, 2010

Kindness Attack

I am literally in shock from kindness right now. Seriously. My whole body is shaking, my eyes are full of tears, my teeth are chattering... I'm finding it difficult to type this. I am so blown away by awesomeness that my body can't process it. HOW COOL IS THAT.

This morning was spent colouring and playing play-doh with my beautiful (still kind of sick) daughter who couldn't stop with the hugs and the 'I love yous' - as if she just knew that something was wrong today. In between, I managed to get us both fed and dressed - and ran through two loads of laundry so that I could start to pack a few days worth of things for her. My parents came, and my mom stayed with Briony while my dad drove me to my car - abandoned at the scene of Geoff's accident last night - and then they took over munchkin care for a couple of days while I headed to the hospital to be with the other half of my little family.

Geoff's been admitted to the hospital and is currently waiting for emergency surgery to reattach a major tendon in his knee. It was a dance injury. You know I'm not joking because YOU CAN'T MAKE THAT KIND OF STUFF UP. He was at a friend's social solo last night because I didn't want to leave Briony sick with a babysitter, and something was spilled on the dance floor, and - well - if you've ever seen my husband dance then you know what happened next. When he landed, something went horribly wrong, and the next thing anyone knew I was getting a call that my husband was on his way to the emergency room.

Surgery was supposed to happen tonight, but it's been bumped to tomorrow. The recovery is expected to take at least six weeks after that. If you're curious, here's a link to the nitty gritty details.

YES, we are still going to New York. Remember, I'm sick anyway - it was always going to be a slowly-paced trip with minimal walking involved (by NYC standards) - now he'll just be my speed :)

All day today, I was pushing down the panic by forcing myself to focus on just one day at a time. I had today and tomorrow figured out, but if I looked any farther than that... PANIC. Then this evening, we received one of the greatest gifts of our lives: one of our nieces will be arriving in Winnipeg on Tuesday and staying for twelve days to help us through the most stressful part of Geoff's recovery. In one phone call and an email, my 'one day at a time' has just been solved for FOURTEEN DAYS. That's two weeks. TWO WEEKS out of our most critical six weeks. I didn't even realize the depth and the magnitude of my panic until my panic was taken away just now.

I love Geoff's family. I'm still new and I'm still getting to know them, but to see that they're the kind of people who would drop everything to figure out a way to help sums up everything you need to know. And between my parents and their immediate rescue mission this morning, the nonstop offers of encouragement and support I've been getting from my friends all day - and this latest solution to send Libby our way - I'm feeling like our little family is just being covered from head to toe in kindness.

My panic attack was replaced with a kindness attack. Isn't that so beautiful? :)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At October 18, 2010 4:09 AM, Blogger Jobina said...

totally beautiful! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

 
At October 18, 2010 8:51 AM, Anonymous Rob said...

Wow!! I've known about the "Jaffo Dance" since the 1985-1986 school year. I probably could have figured that something like this could happen. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home