Thursday, April 16, 2009

British In My Heart

I *heart* British music. Who doesn't. But for some reason, this week it's been ALL about my British girls. The newest Lily Allen and Adele (one of my very, very favourites) have been in particularly high rotation chez Lindsay. They're just brilliant albums, start to finish.

So this got me thinking about my love of all things British. Of course, there's the whole Shakespeare thing (yup, English major here). And the tea (mmm... tea). And the accent (ridiculously sexy). And the foggy, rainy weather (so poetic). And the brainless chick lit (which somehow feels a tiny bit smarter just because it's set in England).

I'd continue, but we don't have all day here.

In high school, had an ongoing joke with my old friend Tamra about my love of British boys. I assured her that I would marry one someday. I didn't, but I came damn close - my father-in-law grew up in London, making Geoff officially half British. Life works out kind of hilariously sometimes.

In university - just months before her wedding - my friend Erin and I realized that we'd never had a chance to go on vacation together. We quickly began to make plans to go away during my Reading Week, and checked flight prices to all the typical Mexican vacation spots. We were excited to spend an entire week in our bikinis... Until we spotted a seat sale to London. And so the decision was made. I acquired a passport in record time (a record that was later broken by myself when I needed to renew said passport for our honeymoon) - and off we went to the land of Jane Austen. It was an amazing trip. We saw so much, it rained the ENTIRE time, and I totally cried on the plane on the way home. London just felt RIGHT.

And it still felt right when Geoff and I visited again last year. It's just one of those cities in the world where I feel absolutely right at home. I would happily spend all of my vacations there, hustling through busy streets with an umbrella, teetering along cobblestone in too-high heels, and pausing for afternoon tea.

I am totally British in my heart.

Anyway. That's what I was thinking about, sitting here in Winnipeg on a positively London-ish cloudy Thursday afternoon, drinking tea and listening to Adele.

-

Speaking of Adele... I know this song is older, but it's still one of my favourites. I think it's one of the most beautifully written and performed songs ever. Yup, I said EVER :)



I've been walking
In the same way as I did
Missing out
The cracks in the pavement
And tutting my heel
And strutting my feet
"Is there anything
I can do for you dear?
Is there anyone I can call?"
"No and thank you, please Madam
I ain't lost, just wandering"

Round my hometown
Memories are fresh
Round my hometown
Ooh, the people I've met
Are the wonders of my world
Are the wonders of my world
Are the wonders of this world
Are the wonders of my world

I like it in the city
When the air
Is so thick and opaque
I love to see everybody
In short skirts
Shorts and shades
I like it in the city
When two worlds collide
You get the people
And the government
Everybody taking
Different sides

Shows that we ain't gonna stand shit
Shows that we are united
Shows that we ain't gonna take it
Shows that we ain't gonna stand shit
Shows that we are united

Round my hometown
Memories are fresh
Round my hometown
Ooh the people I've met
Are the wonders of my world
Are the wonders of my world
Are the wonders of this world
Are the wonders of my world

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At April 17, 2009 8:23 AM, Anonymous Erin said...

I *heart* British everything, too. I want to go back so badly. It was just a teaser, our little trip. One of these soon days I will and I'll see more. Sigh.

 
At April 17, 2009 4:24 PM, Blogger Elleah said...

I lived in England for 9 months while going to Bible School there and I loved it! I feel like I will always have a connection with it as I made so many memories there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home