Thursday, November 06, 2008

Feeling Better

So today turned out a little differently than I'd thought. I had an appointment to see my obstetrician this afternoon, but the phone rang at 10.30 to let me know that I'd need to reschedule with another doctor - mine was stuck at the hospital with a c-section in progress. I suppose the good news is that I've now had appointments with three out of the six doctors in our practice group, so the odds are good that we'll know the doctor who eventually delivers Briony. I was just less than impressed, because (a) now we had to hustle to make it there for an 11.30 appointment, and (b) I haven't seen my 'real' doctor since Week 38, and I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to discuss with her.

It turned out to be okay. I liked the doctor we met with - and the baby's heartbeat, my blood pressure, and all measurements were perfect. She checked things out and I'm totally effaced, Briony's head is lower than last week and fully engaged, and I'm 3 cm dilated. Again, I opted not to do the membrane sweep... I know it's probably not that big of a deal, but I feel like Briony's doing so well on her own - if we just let her be for a few more days, she's pretty likely to be born all by herself, without anyone messing around and trying to speed things up.

In the meantime, they'll be booking me for a fetal assessment just to make sure she's still safe in there, and I have an appointment booked with my doctor on November 13 - just in case I'm still pregnant then. That means we're possibly looking at November 14 (Geoff's birthday) as an induction date, if it comes to that.

The doctor was *so* encouraging about her belief in my ability to deliver this baby despite my arthritis complications, so I'm feeling much calmer about that today. I needed to hear it from a medical professional.

After our appointment, Geoff and I spent the afternoon at Polo Park. We grabbed lunch at McNally Robinson (the samosas were just as good as we'd heard), then spent a few hours walking around because it was too nasty to walk outside. The upside is that I managed to get almost half of my Christmas shopping done - a record for me, and a relief because I think it's going to be very tricky to finish with a newborn...

I'm feeling better today. Thanks for all of your encouragement :)



In case you need a smile:
My stomach is now officially large enough for me to balance a bowl of ice cream on it. (And yes, I'm wearing sweats and no make-up. I feel I've earned the right.)

Labels:

7 Comments:

At November 06, 2008 5:07 PM, Blogger Danae said...

3 cm's! that's when I went into the hospital... baby's gonna be here very soon i'm thinking! all the best :) (by the way Dr.Collister ended up delivering Ben and I really liked him - for the time he was there anyway)

 
At November 06, 2008 5:34 PM, Blogger Amber said...

HAHA! Love the photo, and glad to hear all's well with both of you. I'm still holding out for my projected Briony birth day tomorrow :)

 
At November 06, 2008 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she'll be born this weekend. I'm so excited!!! And that picture of you made me laugh out loud and Jer had to come see what I was laughing at (he too thought it was great!) :) You're cute.

 
At November 06, 2008 7:33 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

I love the sweats....cute.

 
At November 06, 2008 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's like the cutest pregnant girl picture I have ever seen.

 
At November 06, 2008 10:40 PM, Blogger Tannis said...

Yup, sounds like you've got a good start. I wasn't that effaced or dilated when "real" labour started. Now all you need is that good night of sleep before the big show. And maybe a few more bowls of ice cream balanced on the belly. Doesn't Briony kick it?

 
At November 07, 2008 8:12 AM, Blogger Charlene said...

you are TOO CUTE! good luck with everythng, and, if you can hold off until the 14th, Briony and Emma will share the same birthday! and, with Geoff born then too, I think it's a good day to have a birthday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home