Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Election Wrap-Up

So, the world is safe. (Or, it will be by January.) And I'm pretty happy about it. YOU CAN COME OUT NOW, BABY.

It's incredible to me how riled up a bunch of Canadians can get about another country's election. I understand, of course, because I know that it's all very significant to us too - our country is inextricably bound to the US, and in so many ways their future is our future. What shocks me is that people would actually take the time to attempt to debate the merits and pitfalls of an election outcome that none of us voted in. And that most of those people who'd like to start that debate have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

It's no secret that I wanted Obama to win. I'll admit that I cried a little last night when the announcement was made. But it wasn't a bandwagon thing for me... I watched more election coverage than most Americans, I'll bet - and even read the books (hehe). I knew who they were electing. And that's why I celebrated.

People need a leader. They need their leader to have vision, and to be willing to take risks or make decisions that might be unpopular in the short term but will be brilliant in the long run. They need someone to believe in and to stand behind. They need to be proud of their leader when he (or she) is thrust onto the international stage. To be honest, I'm a little jealous. We Canadians didn't have a single option of a candidate who was *any* of those things.

I got a comment from someone on Facebook this morning that implied that Obama would have aborted my baby, given the chance. Wow. The incredibly rich irony is that, while he doesn't want to go back and reverse standing decisions, Obama has actually declared himself to be *personally* pro-life. He's an incredibly conservative Democrat. And I don't seriously think that he's against having babies - hehe. It was such a 'Joe the Plumber' moment that I honestly didn't know what to say.

So yes, while I believe that yesterday's election was in fact historic and showed great progress and promise... As a human race, we clearly have a long way to go in celebrating differences of opinion and learning to communicate effectively (and respectfully) with those people we might disagree with. In many ways, I think that the historic nature of what happened last night may have been more to do with the election of a young man with vision and new ideas and less about the colour of his skin. I want to see qualified, capable women in our government as much as the next girl, but I still wasn't supporting Sarah Palin. And Obama wasn't elected because he was black - or even, I believe, in spite of it. I'd like to think that we're all a little smarter than that. At least, in Fake America - hehe.

As a side note, we Canadians can act as smug and superior as we want to, but I suspect that - as a whole - we're a long way from electing a First Nations prime minister, great ideas or not. And that embarrasses me.

Or maybe we can just send all the people who are anti-progress to live somewhere else (Alaska?), and we'll elect ourselves an Obama here next time...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At November 05, 2008 10:22 AM, Blogger Charlene said...

great blog. I was incredible proud at the American voting public at electing the most capable candidate...it gives me great hope in the future of this country in which I am making my home, and where my children will grow up. this is truly a historical event.
on a side note, I can't believe someone would say that to you about your baby....I'm so sorry...

 
At November 05, 2008 11:44 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At November 05, 2008 11:46 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

sorry, I'm the deleted comment above. Spellcheck please!

Very well said, Lindsay. I've had the same thoughts and have also been following Barack since he was just a senator. He's inspiring and we desperately need someone like that in our country.

On a personal level, I think that both candidates were good guys. But that's never what an election is about, and I think McCain suffered the same fate as the conservatives did here after the Mulroney years. People in the USA wanted a change and voted accordingly.

And finally, would someone PLEASE present a female candidate for ANY leadership position who can actually string together a complete sentence. Better yet, one that can put together an intelligent sentence. Sarah Palin = Belinda Stronach. I cringed every time both of them opened their mouths. Gah! Brains over looks, please.

 
At November 05, 2008 12:08 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

I so totally agree. I have no issue with McCain, and I hope that he will continue to bring his wisdom and experience to American politics - and I think he will. But people chose change. Hopefully, we Canadians will have learned something by watching :)

 
At November 05, 2008 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some very thoughtful discussion. Early on I took a survey and the candidate that won on what I thought would be good change was Obama so I was satisfied to see his lead growing. I was appalled by the Christians who tried to blackball him via the internet, however.

 
At November 05, 2008 4:30 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I like your reflections on the election and Obama in particular. It is heartwarming to see how his message of change seems to have gotten through.

I personally always feel in a quandary regarding the whole abortion issue. I don't know if I fully agree with you regarding Obama, I don't think he should be "let off the hook for his political views" just because he is conservative and personally pro-life. Paul Martin said the same thing when the Catholic church threatened to excommunicate him because as Prime Minister he and his party supported abortion. He told them that there was a difference between who he was an individual and who he was as a politician. Thus he could fight against pro-life legislation as a Liberal but be pro-life in his personal life. To me this does not add up! How could anyone who is truly pro-life support legislation that makes abortion easier, better funded by the state, etc? On the other hand, how could anyone who is pro-choice in good conscience campaign to shut down abortions when they personally believe them to be justifiable? It seems completely inauthentic to me.

I suppose we all have congnitive dissonance when it comes to certain things. We believe one thing but act as if it weren't true (as an example, all the Christians who believe -and preach- that sex before marriage is wrong but then go and do it - repeatedly!). But I long for politicians who's personal beliefs and politics are on the same page.

I wish Obama luck and blessings as he begins his tenure. The first black president - that is so exciting! But most of all I wish for him authenticity between his beliefs and his deeds.

P.S. By the way, your friend's comment about aborting your baby was completely out of line. You are quite gracious in your reaction I think!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home