Sunday, July 06, 2008

27

So many thoughts and feelings about this birthday... I'm not really sure where to start.

I had a *great* party on Friday night. There were 18 of us at Miyabi for dinner on Friday - four hours of sushi and cupcakes and people who I love, with lots and lots of conversation and laughter. I had so much fun. It was an interesting assortment of people from all different phases and areas of my life - and that's really one of my favourite things about being a real grown-up. It made me so happy to watch each of my friends getting to know some of my other friends, and discovering they had more in common than just thinking I'm awesome - hehe.

On Saturday morning (my actual birthday), Geoff and I headed out to Falcon Lake to spend the weekend with my parents. We spent a lazy afternoon on the beach in some gorgeous Manitoba summer weather, and maintained that pace through the rest of the day - glorious! I broke out my new maternity bathing suit, which kind of made me feel like a circus tent, but whatever. I must admit, it was incredibly comfortable. The day ended with a trip out on the boat to watch the fireworks from the middle of the lake. Close to the end of the fireworks display, it got a little competition from the thunder and lightning starting up in the distance. The first raindrops fell just as we were getting back to the car. It was absolutely perfect.

This morning, we were treated to a little surprise that pretty much guaranteed that today was a day that would be different. My mom came and woke me up just before 9 am and told me that she'd started to lose her hair. Sure enough, she reached up - and when we pulled her hand away, a chunk of hair in her fingers. When my dad got back from fishing, she asked him to shave her head. Even though the doctors had told her she'd likely keep her hair for a couple of weeks still, she'd insisted on packing the clippers and a headscarf just in case. It was a little emotional... But within 10 minutes or so, the deed was done - and the four of us were all sitting around and enjoying a morning cup of coffee.

I don't really have words for how proud I am of my mom today. In so many ways, we all understand that the hair loss means that the chemo is doing its work to make my mom healthy and cancer-free. But it's still hard. It's really hard. And my mom is the bravest, strongest person I know - no question. She handled the day with so much grace. She cried the least out of all of us. She just put on a little bit of make-up and a baseball cap, and we all headed out to the Show & Shine that was set up in the middle of town (where the girls promptly became bored, and went to the bakery for hot chocolate and cinnamon buns instead).

She has a very nice head, by the way. She's absolutely gorgeous without her hair.

This birthday was so much about people, and about taking the time to really appreciate all the good in my life. I am so very blessed. And 27 is pretty much guaranteed to be an adventure :)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At July 06, 2008 9:32 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

Happy Birthday Lindsay! Sounds like 27 started out with a bang. Wishing you all the best in this adventure-filled year to come! BTW, the pic of you on the beach (the side profile one) ... STUNNING!

 
At July 07, 2008 10:54 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

Your mom is awesome; she is one tough lady. I'm glad you had a great family weekend.

 
At July 07, 2008 11:46 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

Yeah for your mom - I admire ladies who have the balls (?) to shave their head while going through chemo. My friend went and bought a wig.....and I thought...why not just embrace the new you. ? But that said, I'm not in the situation and who knows what I would do.

Your mom is one brave lady - and I'm sure it helps her to have such a brave family supporting her!!!

 
At July 07, 2008 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Margaret. Glad Geoff is in the same hair mode for some company:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home