Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Happy Canada Day!

Eek, today was a busy one...

(PS - Does anyone else remember a cartoon called 'Eek the Cat'? I remember it being at least mildly amusing, and I don't think it lasted very long.)

We started out in Niverville, where we had brunch and visited with my parents. It was pretty impromptu - ie we planned it after the stores were already closed for the holiday last night - but we managed to put together a spread of bagels, fresh fruit, sausage, eggs, orange juice, and coffee. Yum. It was nice to spend some time with them, and it was even nicer to see firsthand that my mom is doing much better than she had been doing last week. Still not back to her full momliness (yeah, I just made that up), but I could see glimpses. And for now, that was all I needed to be encouraged that this too shall pass.

From there, we went to the Royal Canadian Mint - where they were celebrating Canada Day in a BIG way. There were free tours and activities, stickers, face painting, tattoos, mascots, balloons, and all kinds of things to do. I discovered that my weight in gold is around $3.2 million, which I was pretty happy with (hehe).

And then it was off to George & Lara's, where the gang had been playing ultimate frisbee in the park. We showed up right close to the end of the game (darn...) but just in time for a barbecue and a couple of hours of hanging out in their backyard being generally amused and entertained by their ridiculously adorable 13-month-old, Zyra.

All this should have constituted a full day, but we headed from George & Lara's to The Forks - along with approximately 50% of Winnipeg's total population, judging by the crowds. We visited Sugar Mountain, got some frozen yogurt, walked around and checked out the skate park and a band or two, had some fries at Sal's on the bridge, and then met up with Aaron & Cait for the fireworks. A good time was had by all - I think. Either Baby *loved* the fireworks, or it thought we were under attack... Either way, the first big bang seemed to wake Baby up, and I got thoroughly kicked through much of the rest of the display.

It was nice to spend all day with Geoff - our schedules don't always line up so neatly. Any holiday of mine that's also a holiday for him is totally a Bonus Day, and something we never take for granted.

And it's back to work tomorrow... Though it's now just a three-day week - and a three-day week that ends with my birthday. It doesn't get much better than that, if you ask me :)


Geoff with a Moose


Lindsay (and Baby) with a Beaver

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At July 02, 2008 9:54 AM, Blogger Amber said...

Hahaha, please, please, PLEASE tell me Lindsay that the blue balloon in the photo with the moose is Geoff's...

 
At July 02, 2008 9:57 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

You look so cute...love the shirt.

 
At July 02, 2008 10:02 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Amber - Of course it was. Mine was gold, but it popped :(

Crys - Thanks. Geoff complained when I put on a green shirt yesterday - apparently, it wasn't festive/patriotic enough. My preggo options were very limited... But I managed to come up with pink and red stripes, which I thought counted.

 
At July 02, 2008 4:16 PM, Blogger Jobina said...

I agree, great shirt! You look so cute!
I couldn't help notice that you said your parents live in Niverville! We just bought a little rental house in Niverville and are looking for an honest handyman in the area. We'd rather hire local. Any ideas? You could email me at jobinawestman(at)yahoo(dot)com
Happy belated Canada Day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home