Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Letters from Peru

From my friend Jen:
On Wednesday August 15, 2007, an earthquake measuring in at a magnitude of 7.9 struck just off the coast of Peru, followed by several aftershocks with magnitudes ranging from the lowest of 4.5 and the highest of 6.3. According to Peruvian government officials, 450 deaths and at least 2,000 injured people have been reported throughout the country.

These letters were written by my aunt, Hilda Simard. Living just outside of Lima, she is a Catholic missionary who has dedicated her life to helping the poor people of Peru. I felt that these letters had to be shared as they are beautifully written and describe the state of affairs following the earthquake in a way that the meager news reports of this event could never possibly describe. I hope you find these letters as moving as I do.

You can read Jen's aunt's letters at www.jensimard.com/peru.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home