Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Stop! In the name of the law!

So MPI - in their infinite wisdom - sent me a letter a couple of months ago, encouraging me to get an immobilizer installed in my car. Apparently, my car is on the list of vehicles at high risk for theft in Manitoba. Gee, thanks, MPI. (If y'all remember, my car was stolen last year, and recovered near the U of M the next night.)

I decided not to take them up on their offer. They pay for the immobilizer and the installation, but charge you extra if you want extra keys (which I do) or if you have a remote car started (which I do). It's like someone giving you a cell phone for Christmas - gee thanks, but now I have a monthly bill.

Anyway. I got a letter yesterday informing me that the immobilizer installation is no longer an option. In fact, I am not allowed to renew my insurance/registration until I can prove I have had one installed. Argh.

I know all the reasons why it's a good idea. I know that I'll get a reduction on my Autopac because I have one, and I know that they'll spread out the extra costs over my next five years of Autopac without interest. I also know that these suckers have something like a 2-3% fail rate - doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's going to be a HUGE deal if I'm stranded somewhere because my stupid immobilizer has locked down my own car.

The real issue is that I'm being FORCED to do this. I like options. I like making up my own mind about things. I HATE HATE HATE when people tell me what to do.

But none of that actually changes the situation. So it looks like - sometime between now and my honeymoon - I need to take care of getting an immobilizer installed into my car. Or, more accurately, Geoff is going to need to take care of getting an immobilizer installed into my car. (Marriage is awesome.)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At August 21, 2007 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's too bad that new rules don't always fix things and cause upsets like yours.
I'm sure it will only take a deliciously prepared meal by you and Geoff will think you are 'even'. He seems to thrive on 'fixing up cars':)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home