Monday, August 27, 2007

Back to School

So today is a pretty big day in my family. It was *someone's* first day of school and - if my calculations are correct - she's probably sitting in her first class right about now. Yep, it's true: my mom started college today. Over the past two months, she was very busy setting the wheels in motion that lead to her (a) quitting her job, (b) applying for school, and (c) being accepted full-time into the Human Resources Management program at Red River.

I am so incredibly proud of this woman who is my mom. It takes serious guts to look at yourself in the mirror when you're 39 years old (hehe) and say, "I'm not happy with my career, I think I can do more." And it takes even more guts to decide to do something about it.

If I demonstrate any strength of character or determination at all, it's because of this woman who raised me and taught me everything I know about being a girl. She was an amazing Educational Assistant for a long time, and graduated from college for the first time when I was in Grade 11. And she's going to be excellent in her new career, we have no doubt - the business world needs more people like her.

I tried to encourage her to make my dad take a 'first day of school' picture of her with her backpack at the front door :)

Labels:

4 Comments:

At August 27, 2007 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind words - you made me bawl like a baby. My first day was awesome and I'm never looking back. Why did I wait so long?? I feel smarter already!
Guess who.

 
At August 27, 2007 4:28 PM, Blogger gloria said...

Awww, I am so proud of your Mom too!

 
At August 27, 2007 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so courageous of your Mom to go to school and change her life's focus. I can see you have learned such good life lessons from a great 'teacher', Lindsay.

 
At August 28, 2007 1:40 PM, Blogger Erin said...

That is such an awesome step to take! So cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home