Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Weekend Update: July Long Edition

Friday night, I attended a rather impromptu Cocoon wine tasting party at Kyle & Jill's place, complete with ridiculously complex worksheets and charts. Our very mature little wine tasting party evolved into a karaoke party, which is not particularly noteworthy because EVERY Cocoon get-together eventually ends up turning into a karaoke party - and participation is not really optional. But it's one of the things that makes me love my job.

The funny thing about it is that we didn't really plan ahead - and managed probably 85% attendance. I think that long weekends are kind of like New Years Eve... Everyone assumes that everyone else has all kinds of fabulous plans - but if you call up a couple of people on December 29, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a house full of friends on December 31. In any case, we had a ton of fun on Friday night and it was a great start to the weekend.

On Saturday, I met my mom for breakfast and we made a trip to the fabric store to find something suitable for the wedding table runners. Check! The fabric I loved was ridiculously expensive - but it was 70% off this weekend, so it fit neatly into our budget. And my mom 'volunteered' to take care of measuring and cutting and hemming and all that other stuff I really, truly hate - so as far as I'm concerned, my table runners are DONE :)

Geoff was working Friday night, so we met up after he woke up in the afternoon and picked up some groceries before hearing out to George & Lara's place to help celebrate Zyra's christening. Their families are Polish and Filipino, which equals really, really amazing food... Then we were off to my cousin CJ & Erin's wedding, which was lovely and quirky and a very nice evening.

Geoff, Rocky, and I spent all day Sunday and part of Monday at the lake with my parents and Bob & Pat (my aunt and uncle). We sat around, played tennis, went for walks, played on the water, read a book cover-to-cover, ate really well, and just kind of generally relaxed. I think that tennis was my highlight - I hadn't had a chance to play yet this summer, and me and the boys had a great time playing doubles. I had a particularly great time because I just so happen to have a collection of very pink tennis balls (bright pink AND a very lovely baby pink). They were kind of embarrassed, and the guys on the next court kept mocking them - which only made it more fun for me. The anti-highlight would be sleeping in a tent that was kind of infested with spiders. Shudder. I was very brave, but that doesn't mean it wasn't gross.

And then The Boy was working again last night, so Rocky and I went to go see 'Live Free or Die Hard' - which I enjoyed very much. I love brainless summer movies where things explode... And lots of things exploded. A lot. When Bruce Willis took out a helicopter with a car, I was positively gleeful. Happy sigh.

I got into work this morning and the lilies that Geoff brought me on Friday are blooming a brilliant orange. What a great start to a short week :)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At July 03, 2007 12:44 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

You must have an underlying violent streak in you - does The Boy know about your love of violence?

 
At July 04, 2007 10:00 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Glad you had such a great weekend! Hope you have a very happy birthday week : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home