Friday, June 08, 2007

Connecting

Facebook is pretty much the funniest thing ever. It is laziness in its most glorious state. Basically, you can broadcast information to everyone you've ever met in one fell swoop - which is awesome when you don't feel like telling a story a thousand times (like, say, if you suddenly find yourself engaged or something). It's like the gossip chain in a small town on speed. And heck - I grew up in Niverville, a town that's perfected the speed-of-light informational transmission.

Anyway. The reason I note that today is that - in the last 36 hours - THREE people I know have announced pregnancies on Facebook. And for some reason, I find that quite amusing. It must say something about our society, I'm just not sure what. People used to say that computers and electronic communication isolated us. Now, I'm often blown away by how this technology allows us to keep in contact with so many people we would have lost any form of relationship with otherwise. Not that having someone as a Facebook friend is a 'relationship' - but it lets you keep track of where people are and what they're up to.

In other news, my dress is ordered. I wanted my mom to see it before it was all official (and irreversible), and so she met me at the dress store last night after work. I tried it on for her, and she immediately started to cry. I'm taking that as a good thing. Meanwhile, my dad and Geoff were fixing some stuff at the house and doing some manly problem solving to figure out how to mount Geoff's fancy new tv on top of the fireplace. After our appointment, the four of us went for dinner to Hu's on First - it was a nice evening. It makes my heart happy to see how well they all get along.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At June 08, 2007 11:49 AM, Blogger gloria said...

Yay you and all your happy news! You deserve it darling! Now I am going to have to scour your facebook friends to see who is preggers.

 
At June 08, 2007 4:32 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Yes, I was one of those people who found out that her esteemed cousin is going to be a father from checking Facebook. That's two major announcements in 3 weeks that I've found there. I'm not sure yet, whether to be pleased that I found out so quickly or disturbed that I never have to talk to or see anyone to know what's going on. Oh, well, at least I'm in the loop : ) That has got to count for something.

Glad to hear everything is going so well and that your family and Geoff get along so well. Such an important thing.

And I would probably cry if I saw you in your wedding dress too, so I would assume it was a good thing your mom cried : ) Have a fabulous weekend. I'm working on your interview...hee, hee, hee ; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home