Thursday, May 31, 2007

Overwhelmed

That's really the only word to describe how I'm feeling today... Last night was incredible. Honestly, one of the most meaningful events I've ever had the privilege of being involved with.

About a month ago, I agreed to speak at The Arthritis Society's first annual Celebrity Roast night, being held in honour of Charlie Spiring, CEO of Wellington West. Last night, I did NOT feel like doing it. I'm still feeling kind of sick, I'm exhausted from a combination of engagement / return to work / jetlag / fibromyalgia, and I didn't want to do it. I had to give myself a pretty big pep talk before I went inside. It helped so much to have my mom there to encourage me too. Talking to yourself always appears *slightly* less insane when there's someone else in the car.

I presented my story as the evening's keynote speaker. It's amazing to me that I still get choked up talking about my experiences - getting sick, getting sick again, my fight to be normal, my Joints in Motion projects, the support of my family and friends, and my hope for a cure. I wasn't polished. But I was honest and authentic. And I know that people - no matter how fancy shmancy they may be (and there were many of Winnipeg's who's-who in the crowd last night) - respond to that.

The evening was a genuinely good time. The speakers were hilarious, intelligent, and extremely witty. The food was amazing. And The Arthritis Society raised a heck of a lot of money, which made everyone's huge efforts absolutely worth it. I was very proud to be able to help out for such an important cause and a successful event.

I talked to so many people after - people who were encouraged, people who were inspired, people who had been quietly and secretly living with arthritis for years and who were finally set free and ready to talk about it. And at the end of the night, those people dug into their wallets and brought me almost $1,200 closer to my fundraising goal for Greece. Amazing.

Oh, and Ace Burpee came to find me after my speech to inform me of the fact that I am one of the funniest people in Winnipeg. Which would have made my night all on its own. Take THAT, Chuck and Kyle. (My charming co-workers have spent months telling me that I'm not funny. They rarely even smile when I crack a joke. They just sit there, look at each other, look at me, and then shake their heads. They actually keep track of the *actually* funny things I say, because they think it happens so rarely... I know. My life is so traumatic.)

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At May 31, 2007 12:28 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

So cool and even cooler that Ace Burpee thinks you're funny. You are funny, btw.

 
At May 31, 2007 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew, I'm so glad that I "let" you go!

 
At May 31, 2007 8:49 PM, Blogger esther said...

ok...it's been awhile...

YOUR ENGAGED!
SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU Lindsay!
that is WONDERFUL news!!

happy planning :)& what a gorgeous ring!!!

 
At May 31, 2007 9:01 PM, Blogger Erin said...

You are funny my dear. I love reading your writing. It makes me laugh. Sounds like you had an amazing evening.

 
At June 01, 2007 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so very proud of you Lindsay. Charlie Spiring is a close personal friend of some of Ryan's family. Neat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home