Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mothers and Daughters

So I think my mom is pretty cool.

I love that I can be honest with her. We share some pretty intense heart-to-heart talks, some full-on fits of hilarity, great new books and CDs, and an often psychic connection. It's kind of ridiculously common for us to be praying for each other at *exactly* the right time or to make simultaneous phone calls to each other (getting busy signals on both ends) or to have our emails cross each other in cyberspace. For all the things we have in common, the differences keep us balanced. She does an admirable job of pretending to understand why I NEED to get my nails done or why I HAVE to make all plans a week ahead of time.

I like to think that I inherited the best parts of her. I think she's pretty special... And we had a great day with her today.

Mothers Day also made me think about the other kind of mothers - the ones we adopt and invite into our lives. I have more than a few of those, not because I really *need* another mom, but because they add something to my life and my perspective of the world and of myself. One 'adopted grandma' who's particularly special to me is a woman named Susan. Susan attends the same church as me, and she's... old. If you know me, you know that I'm a little bit uncomfortable with seniors who I don't know. Not really sure what it is - I think I just don't really know how to start a conversation with them. Anyway. I was in high school when Susan decided to 'adopt' me (kind of against my will). She took an active interest in me and starting seeking me out at church to give me a hug, sending birthday cards and Christmas cards, and inviting me over to her place for lunch. What has evolved in the decade since then is a really special friendship. I love her hugs, and I love knowing that she prays for me daily. I love her Christmas cards in her shaky handwriting, and I love the way she always holds your hand when she's talking to you. She's a sweet woman, and I've learned a lot from her about slowing down, (re)focusing my priorities, and appreciating what's around me.

This morning, I put a Mothers Day card in her mailbox at church - which is nothing unusual for us, but she made a point of coming to find me after the service to say thank you, with tears of appreciation in her eyes. She also wanted to introduce me to her daughter (who is also old - LOL), and her daughter smiled at me immediately. 'Oh, YOU'RE Lindsay! It's so wonderful to meet you.'

And she took my hand as we continued our conversation.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 16, 2007 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan is a sweetie! You're a lucky gal. She gives great hugs!
Alison

 
At May 17, 2007 10:31 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

that is so sweet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home