Tuesday, May 01, 2007

It Ain't Easy Being Green

So this past weekend, I finally got around to reading this month's Vanity Fair (my absolute favourite magazine, always a treat when I get thirty minutes in a row to flip through it). May just so happens to be their Green Issue. I learned a lot - and not just about cover boy Leonardo diCaprio. I learned so much, in fact, that I was absolutely wracked with guilt about my contribution to the destruction of life, the universe, and everything. I've been having visions of baby seals choking to death on my discarded grocery bags, of gorillas dying for the sake of my cell phone, of women and children in horrific, third world working conditions who are stripping my old printer for parts. All very stressful.

I will never be one of those people who turns off the shower while I lather. But I made a pact with myself that I will begin to attempt some small changes that will make a small but important difference. This month's project was to switch to reusable grocery bags.

I went to Sobey's last night in search of the cute green kiwi bags (well, cute in comparison to other options). Never mind the fact that I had to drive past a Safeway to get to the Sobey's - thus burning up extra gasoline. I grabbed a few groceries, plus a couple of bags. The boys at the till began to ring up my purchases... And they proceeded to bag my groceries - AND my new bags - in plastic bags. HELLO. I had to say something. I asked what they were doing, and they were like, 'Oh, did you want to use these right away?' Um, yes. That's kind of the point. I started laughing at them and, despite the fact I knew how rude I was being, I couldn't stop laughing. They deserved my ridicule.

Kermit was right.

Though I must say... These new bags are AWESOME. So much easier to handle than the old disposable kind - easier to carry, easier to load into my car, and flat-bottomed so they don't tip over. Recyclable. And they cost me a measly 99 cents a piece. I am officially converted.

Don't you love good deeds that have selfish value? :)

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

At May 01, 2007 1:50 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Look at you! I was all excited because I finally started recycling...goodness I'm behind. I also put in some of those compact flourescent bulbs in the house. I'm very proud of that fact. Maybe I'll have to go check out these shopping bags...

 
At May 01, 2007 4:03 PM, Blogger ka said...

Joey on Friends said it best... There are no unselfish good deeds. However, kudos to you. I justify the plastic ones because they double as my garbage bags. But I refuse to buy the bags at Superstore. All 4 cents a bag that they are... :)

 
At May 01, 2007 4:53 PM, Blogger gloria said...

i just went to stupid-store today and splurged on the 3 bags for $0.99! i even got help with bagging! but gal-darnit, I still HATE grocery shopping!

 
At May 01, 2007 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those Sobey's bags! Been using them for months. Between them and my "stupid-store" green bins I'm thinking I'm very green. Kermit rules!

Maggie

 
At May 01, 2007 11:37 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Mags! Where've you been? :)

 
At May 02, 2007 9:56 AM, Blogger gloria said...

is that our Maggie? Our Mags, our Gertie of Gertie's Dirty Girkens?

 
At May 02, 2007 11:42 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

The one and only...

 
At May 02, 2007 1:10 PM, Blogger it's a gong show... said...

I'm off to get some of those bags myself. The guilt is settling in. I have to admit I don't even have a blue box. I'll get one of those too while I'm there. Shame Shame Shame on me!!

 
At May 02, 2007 3:45 PM, Blogger gloria said...

but whyyyyy doesn't she talk to us Lindsay? I miss her sooooooo!

 
At May 02, 2007 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes GL, it's me....gertie. I've been keeping up with you girls and your blogs. Just haven't had the energy to get my blog back up and running...but I promise....soon. But it's great hearing about you girls and your lives - mine is VERY boring compared to you two chicks.

 
At May 02, 2007 9:48 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Sorry, I forgot to add my name, I'll use my blogger name from now on.

 
At May 02, 2007 10:21 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Oh, Magglepuss... I sincerely doubt you life is capable of being drama-free :)

Whenever you start blogging again, you know I'll be your first visitor.

 
At May 03, 2007 9:29 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

Ok Lindsay, I am starting to get SERIOUSLY creeped out.

My favorite magazine to read-also Vanity Fair.

Were we separated at birth??

 
At May 03, 2007 9:55 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Crystal - That's super-funny. The strangest part about it is that the world has seemingly managed to handle *both* of us...

(PS. The secret was AMAZING!)

 
At May 03, 2007 11:13 AM, Blogger gloria said...

OK, you 2 talking about "the Secret" the book with all the answers?

 
At May 03, 2007 2:23 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

k, I was GIDDY this morning just thinking of you reading it...it WAS good, wasn't it. Did your jaw drop?

And yes, I am in wonderment as to how the world handles us both. That and how we can be so similar, yet you are classy and I am not.

Puzzling.

 
At May 03, 2007 2:25 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

oops...sorry gloria; not the book, the blog page.

 
At May 03, 2007 5:00 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

There was some definite jaw-related droppage. Crazy stuff... It made me so sad.

I'll give you my 'classy' for your sense of style and your athleticism (I'm so clumsy, it's not even charming anymore).

 
At May 03, 2007 10:55 PM, Blogger gloria said...

oh, THAT secret, my sister asked me who my messed up friend that blogged about suicide and stuff was.. boy was she relieved to know that its not actually one person.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home