Tuesday, January 04, 2011

No Regrets

I've had a bunch of questions about what on earth I'm up to, and I'll do my best to summarize it here. It's all happened relatively quickly and I'm learning as I go - eastern medicine and alternative therapy is always a HUGE learning curve when you've grown up in North American (and when you've quite literally grown up in a very westernized - probably western-BIASED - health care system). But this is kind of what's going on in a nutshell.

The new 'partner' I'm seeing is Dr Shi, a traditional Chinese doctor with additional training in acupuncture, allergy elimination therapy, and natural medicine - including NAET. Yes, I know how crazy it sounds. And no, I don't care. Geoff came along for my first appt and we're both 100% on board for me to try this out.

At my first appointment, she did a series of tests that involved me holding vials of different substances and based on my arm strength while I was holding them made a list of things that my body is treating as allergens right now. Next step is a series of seven appts where she eliminates those sensitivities - I'll hold a vial with one of the sensitive substances while she does acupuncture to clear the energy blockages related to each one, then totally avoid even TOUCHING that substance for the next 25 hours. Then supposedly I'll be 'cured' of that sensitivity.

For the next couple months, I'll be following a very specific allergen-free diet while everything is being cleared. I've also been put on a CRAZY multivitamin and a natural treatment for thyroid dysfunction - one of the things that she easily identified as a health challenge for me - along with a few supplements to balance out the foods (and associated vitamins and minerals) I'm yanking out of my diet.

My list of 'sensitivities' - things that my body is fighting instead of absorbing and using properly right now - includes a few random things like vitamin B, magnesium, and Omega-3 along with the usual food suspects like dairy, red meats, nightshade vegetables, gluten, refined sugar, coffee and caffeine, and any chemicals or preservatives.

It's going to be a long couple of months, but it will be worth it if I can feel better. It's fascinating to me that - through her own very unique 'diagnosis' process - she identified virtually identical challenges as my naturopath saw in my live blood analysis years ago. It gave me lots more confidence in what we're doing.

The most important thing to note is that I left my first appointment feeling HOPEFUL. That's an emotion that I cling to like a person drowning in the ocean. This doctor honestly believes that she can help me. She has a track record of doing exactly that. And I'm sure as heck going to let her try - and do everything I can to make this process successful. NO REGRETS.

In the meantime, I'm also scheduled to see my rheumatologist again later this week and I'm hoping to get a letter from him that recommends I pursue further treatment at the Mayo Clinic (with the Manitoba government covering the expenses). We're praying like crazy that this might happen... The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota has a full Fibromyalgia Clinic and I've heard from several people that were helped there. Again, NO REGRETS. I'm going to push with all the power and energy I have left to make it happen, and then whatever will be will be.

That's all for now. Lots more to talk about soon. For right now, it feels good to have a plan and to be DOING SOMETHING.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At January 05, 2011 8:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm hoping and praying that this works out for you! I'm glad you're hopeful.

 
At January 05, 2011 8:30 AM, Blogger Elleah said...

I'm also on a no wheat, no dairy, no soy, no condiments, no caffeine, no sugar, etc. diet after seeing a naturopath for digestion problems I'm having. I wouldn't wish this diet on other people, but I'm glad I'm not the only one and WE CAN DO IT!

 
At January 05, 2011 10:09 AM, Blogger Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

Whatever it takes to feel better right? I'm glad you're hopeful and it sounds like traditional medicine just wasn't working - so why the heck not try something different?? Who says our way is the right way. I'm hopeful for you too!

XO
Lenore

 
At January 05, 2011 10:24 AM, Anonymous Sherri said...

It's not crazy, Chinese medicine. I think anything natural over chemical make sense. (Not to say western medicine is wrong, i don't believe that at all) But I do know with a lot of produced medicines, we can eventually we outgrow them, or they can imbalance each other etc... but we can't out grow what is supposed to be there. I have a good friend in New York who only sees a Chinese Doctor. The way she talks, it always sounds like such an interesting experience. :) Anyways, Lindsay, just wanted you to know, I am thinking of you and praying for you! I hope this is it! :)

 
At January 07, 2011 1:13 AM, Anonymous Rob said...

I learned about NAET several years ago. I guy I worked with had been in a severe car accident involving a train... afterward his body was pretty much allergic to everything in the world and he pretty much had to live in a bubble to survive. Eventually he discovered NAET and has been cured of all the allergies, and can live a normal life now.
I started treatment for an allergy I have, but was only in that location for a while because of my job and was never able to eliminate my allergy. It could take several, or more, treatments for each allergen.
I did the vile & muscle testing as well, it was the freakiest thing in the world to me!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

 
At January 12, 2011 9:07 PM, Anonymous erin said...

oh, that sounds like something i'd totally be on board for! i'd like her contact info. i hope this works out for you! it can't hurt...and it may be the ticket :)

 
At January 14, 2011 10:24 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Good for you Lindsay! You can do it! If anyone can - you can. You have crazy determination and I so admire you for it! Hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home