Friday, December 17, 2010

Falling Together

No 'Friday Smile' this week... I kind of lost my job today. Over the phone. On the last Friday before Christmas.

FA LA LA LA LA.

I still have a few clients, but this was my major income source - a guaranteed 20 hours of work every week.

I wanted to get upset. I wanted to crawl back into bed and stay there. I wanted to cry and have terribly hurt feelings (even though it was totally a budget thing and nothing personal at all). But that's not Lindsay style. So I hung up the phone and jumped into the shower. I made myself presentable and went to go meet a potential new client for lunch. They signed our contract on the spot and I'll begin work right after Christmas. I'm really excited about it - I think they're a really fabulous fit and we're going to work really well together. Then I got an email from a friend with another really good lead on some freelance writing work starting in January.

These contracts won't totally replace the one I lost this morning. But even the most hardened pessimist would call that a very promising first six hours of quasi-unemployment. It's as if God knew that I was likely to panic about this, and just wanted to reach down and let me know that it's all going to be okay. Maybe MORE than okay, because I really wasn't happy with the contract anyway - I was taking one for the team to provide my family with some stability.

Maybe it's time to really take this 'running my own business' thing for a spin and see where it can go... Briony's older now and I feel like I'm in a really good place. WE'RE in a really good place.

I'm feeling a little bit excited. Also, a little bit like I just got punched in the gut (hey, this is SCARY). But I'm choosing to dwell more on the 'excited' part :)

‎"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together." (Marilyn Monroe)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At December 18, 2010 1:13 AM, Anonymous Caitlin said...

I'm sorry to hear the news. I hope everything works out for the best.

We're looking forward to seeing you in... 7 days!

 
At December 20, 2010 8:36 AM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

Oh wow ... I can't say I was expecting that post, but you are *so* right when you say it is going to be better than fine! You are rockin' this "own business" thing and I think you are right to see this in a positive light, rather than a negative one, because I think one door may have closed, but a GIANT one just opened!

 
At December 20, 2010 3:54 PM, Blogger Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

I'm really sorry to hear the bad news but I was really pumped by your kick$%^ attitude about it!! One door closes, a window opens...so cliche but SO TRUE!

XO
Lenore

 

Post a Comment

<< Home