Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Best Laid Plans

I can't stand it when life doesn't follow the plans that I've made. (That probably wasn't a newsflash, was it?)

I went to bed last night with the best intentions for today. And it's just NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Today began with lots of pain, lots of fatigue, and lots of frustration. It also began with Starbucks (thanks, Geoff!) - but I digress. I'm supposed to be starting on an aggressive new treatment plan with a new doctor and I'd planned to start tomorrow. Because so much of what we're doing depends on me totally revamping the way I eat, I needed to do a big grocery shop first. One that couldn't happen with Briony along, both because of how much I can physically handle today and because I need to read EVERYTHING to make sure that the things I'm choosing to put in my cart are 100% okay for me to eat.

I did it. I don't think anyone is more surprised than I am. Geoff watched Briony this afternoon and I managed to do Superstore, Bulk Barn, and get back home again in 90 minutes.

GO LINDSAY.

Of course, I'm capital-letters EXHAUSTED now - and the day isn't nearly over yet - but I feel so much better just knowing that I'm ready to go in the morning.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't completely intimidated by what's going to happen here tomorrow. I've done some pretty extreme eating under the guidance of my naturopath before, but this plan's just a little bit crazier. No gluten. No dairy. No soy. No refined sugar. No coffee or caffeine. No preservatives or chemicals. No potatoes, tomatoes, or peppers. That's not everything... It's the summary / tip of the iceberg (and why I've dubbed this my 'psychoallergenic' diet). As a side note, I've never been TOTALLY off dairy before - I've always been able to have some butter + plain yogurt. For some reason, the NO dairy (together with no soy) is kind of freaking me out.

The first two or three weeks will be tough. After that, my body will stop craving some of the things I haven't been feeding it - and I'll start to have more of the energy I need to be able to cook everything from scratch (and with this attention to detail).

I'll try to make sure that this doesn't become a food blog, but I'm also going to do my best to share the recipes that we're loving over here - both to help others in my situation and to help friends who are trying to accommodate me.

I'm worried. I'm tired. And I'm painfully aware that I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED YET. But meals are planned for the rest of this week, and I have what I need to make them. So, OFF WE GO!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At January 04, 2011 7:57 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Way to go! Much courage, hope and success wished you:)

 
At January 06, 2011 9:50 AM, Blogger Sara Beth said...

Good luck - and I mean it, if there is something I can put together for your freezer, just send me the recipe. And on that note, hmmmmmm, Bulk Barn... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home