Monday, October 11, 2010

Mommy Confession #471: Toilet Terror

Okay, I'm just going to come right out with it: I'm scared to death of potty training.

Potty training BRIONY, you doofuses ;)

I don't think there's another milestone (that I'm aware of) that intimidates me more than this one. Seriously. I would take eye teeth, first period, learning to walk, and first broken heart ALL ON THE SAME DAY over potty training. And it's funny, because for someone who's never potty trained a kid before, I know an awful lot about potty training. Last year, I began working with a client who I do a significant amount of copywriting work for - and I write a handful of articles for them every month giving advice to moms who are potty training their toddler. I've done so much research to be able to do my job... I have access to some leading potty training experts who've shared their wisdom with me. And still, I feel like I don't know what to do.

If that's not irony, I don't know what is.

Adding to my stress about the whole thing is the fact that potty training is likely to be very physically demanding for me, like is for every mommy - and I'm really hoping to be able to be in a better place health-wise before we attempt it.

Fortunately, some of the terror is balanced out by the fact that we've been hearing some awesome success stories lately - and our pediatrician has given us every hope and reason to believe that Briony will rock it too, if we can be patient and wait until she's super-ready.

Anyway. We're not quite there yet. She's definitely interested, but I'm like a redneck mom who pushes over her kid who's learning to walk just so that she doesn't have to get up and chase her - I am REALLY hoping that we can push this off until after Christmas at the earliest, when life should be become much quieter and more predictable again. Then I'm fully prepared to just suck it up and figure it out - calmly, confidently, and all that stuff.

This question's for all my readers who've been there done that already: What is the one thing you wish you'd known about potty training, that you think every mommy of every diaper-wearing toddler in the world should know?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At October 11, 2010 4:49 PM, Blogger Charlene said...

I wish I would have known that it was gonna suck, big time. sorry, I know that's not what you wanted :P
I had heard so many "potty trained in two days" stories that my expectations were skewed...if I would have had a more realistic idea in my head going in it wouldn't have felt like such a huge failure, every day. lol...listen to me, Suzy Sunshine over here :P

 
At October 11, 2010 6:00 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

That staying in the moment and not worrying about it (futuristic thought) is most realistic. The process is eventually always successful.

 
At October 11, 2010 10:02 PM, Blogger Charlene said...

good point Marilyn...they won't go to college in diapers. That was my mantra :D

 
At October 12, 2010 12:02 AM, Blogger ka said...

I feared it more than anything else as well - and was surprised when S rocked it. That said, there were a few things I learned in the process...
-my kid who NEVER got treats could not be pursuaded with treats (my mother swears it's cuz she didn't know what they were :). Stickers, on the other hand, were AWESOME. She spent a lot of time in the first 3 days thinking about which one to choose to post on the chart in the bathroom. Then she was totally over then just as quick (but fortunately still going potty strong :)
-Pull-ups are only meant for night time. I don't think a kid will learn if they don't pee on the floor a couple times, or have to walk around in wet panties. Which means it's a GREAT excuse not to clean your house for a week...
-Whenever you decide to do it, you just need to stay home and do it.
-She wasn't into the big potty, so I broke down and got a little one which is what we used. And kept using because she insisted that she would not go on the big one. Then we were out one day and she had to use a big one, and she was pretty excited about it. So I went home and hid the little one. And was SO MAD when she got up the next day and was all, "Oh, I can use the big one no problem." And I'd been cleaning out that stupid little one for HOW LONG?!

 
At October 12, 2010 9:13 AM, Blogger Allison Friesen said...

My advice may be completely useless seeing as I have a boy but I am with Charlene on this one. It SUCKS! It takes WAY longer than the 2 days you hear about. It has taken (and we're still working on it) Carter about 5 months.

I also agree with ka. Pull ups are useless. They can't tell if they're wet. Real underwear give them the actual sensation and feeling.

Have low expectations and then maybe it will be better for you.

Good luck! I've heard girls are easier!

 
At October 12, 2010 1:03 PM, Anonymous Ashley said...

You really have to wait until they are ready. We tried a couple of times previously with Jack, and it didn't take. We tried again right after his third birthday, and he trained in a couple of days. Every kid is different. And don't do it at a time when you have lots of other stuff going on. It will consume much of your time! Good luck!

 
At October 12, 2010 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy some small stools for yourself Lindsay as there is a lot of lifting involved if you use a big potty! Things will go great but there will be a regression week don't let it get you down. I agree with everyone on the pull ups!! Night time only!And be prepared for not wanting to go potty in a public place! And you need to be a point in your life where you have nothing going on and can devote all attention to this matter. Its time consuming! Good luck!

 
At October 12, 2010 4:40 PM, Anonymous Tammy Sawatzky said...

Potty train when your kid is ready. Forcing the subject only brings HUGE frustration on your part and a slightly traumatized child. Wait until he/she is ready.

I tried with our son at about 2.5 years and was met with tears and puddles. We stopped the next day and didn't get things going until he was months shy of 3. He understood what his body was telling him and knew what to do. We had very few accidents that were met with compassion and a quick clean up.

As perviously said, no kid goes to university in diapers.

Also, when the time comes for the child to use a public toilet, or you think that might happen, identify where the washroom is and go see it with her/him. The kid will then know this is the only option and may be more receptive to going. Also you don't have to hunt for the washroom in an unfamiliar place. tas

 
At October 13, 2010 6:27 PM, Blogger Danae said...

I'm going to steal some of the advice Lindsay :) I am, as well, quite intimidated to start potty-training... I keep putting it off, even though B has been showing major signs that he is ready. My most recent excuse is that I need to wait till it's colder outside as we will be pent up indoors.... Let us know how it goes when you attempt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home