Thursday, June 24, 2010

World Record Holder

That's right. I set the world record today for the most times any mommy anywhere in all of history has said NO in one afternoon. And I feel like shit right now. I have visions of a 400 pound grown-up Briony in stained sweatpants with stringy hair lying on a therapist's couch someday saying that all she remembers from her childhood is her mother saying NO and that it has stopped her from feeling like she was worth something and doing anything meaningful with her life.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At June 24, 2010 5:50 PM, Blogger Jobina said...

Been there! Sometimes we just need to say no but sometimes it's easier/better to just distract them at that age.
ps, I'm sure the stringy hair and sweatpants is just your imagination...she *is* your child after all and she's already got more style than that!

 
At June 24, 2010 8:47 PM, Anonymous Momma said...

I could hardly think of what your post was actually about once you put the visual of Briony out there. I laughed out loud. Thanks. Remember what I told you about your relationship with your child - you were meant to be a mother first and if they end up being your friend, that's a bonus! Don't get so caught up in the "no's". I agree with J - it's time to make playdough!

 
At June 25, 2010 10:07 AM, Blogger Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

Our moms did the same thing to us and we're fairly well-adjusted. Most of the time.

XO
Lenore

 
At June 25, 2010 11:43 AM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

As long as you retain your sense of humor along with the parenting 'chores', you'll all make it:)

 
At June 25, 2010 2:20 PM, Anonymous Ashley said...

Your description of future Briony actually made me laugh out loud! Being a parent is all about laying down boundaries, and sometimes it's hard to stay tough. But it's really important to be consistent- it's the inconsistency that really messes kids up (at least that's what I tell myself).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home