Friday, April 23, 2010

Welcome Back, Jennifer Knapp

I'm a Christian and I love music, but I'm not a lover of Christian music. There are exceptions, of course, but I pick my favourite music based on whether or not I like it, whether or not I connect with it - and whether it's a 'Christian' artist or not makes absolutely no difference to me. That's just how it is (and I despise those labels anyway). And my library of music includes a little of both.

Around the time I was finishing high school and starting university, a new singer-songwriter came onto the Christian music scene and I was immediately drawn to her music - probably because it was just plain good music. I loved everything about Jennifer Knapp's music, and she pumped out three CDs in just a couple of years and toured like mad. I saw her live at least two or three times during those years. And then, in 2002, she was gone. She just totally disappeared from music.

And I still listen to her old CDs.

So imagine my delight to hear that she's touring as part of Lilith Fair this summer (not at our location... BOO) and releasing a new CD next month after a seven year hiatus.

In all her media interviews for the new album, she's been completely honest and transparent as always - and is for the first time openly talking about the fact that she's in a longterm same sex relationship. I read her 'coming out' article (here and here and here) today and was *so* impressed with how she's articulated her experiences in a dual role as a Christian and a lesbian. I was not impressed that it was the entire focus of the story, glossing over the far more interesting (in my opinion) questions about her hiatus and her new album. It makes me sad that this has turned into another 'sensational' story for the media... She appeared on Larry King Live tonight as part of an episode about whether Christianity and homosexuality can co-exist. And I just watched a pastor call her 'perverted' to her face on CNN. And then compared her to a pedophile. Shudder.

My point is not to begin a debate on Christians and homosexuality. I don't want to get into it, and you honestly won't change what I believe about it anyway. My point is that I can't wait for her new album to come out in a couple of weeks.

Welcome back, Jennifer Knapp. I wish your reception was a little bit friendlier. Now I hope we'll all surprise you by purchasing so many copies of your new album that we'll make it your best-selling album ever. I might buy two :)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At April 24, 2010 3:42 PM, Blogger Karla said...

I adored Jennifer Knapp too... always wondered what happened to her. It's funny - in the past few years, I've been listening to a lot of Brandi Carlile (have you?) and she always reminded me of Jennifer Knapp. She's gay too. Funny how so many strong, articulate, creative, soulful musicians are gay. Indigo Girls, anyone? I'm going to get her new album because I expect it to be damn good.

fyi- don't worry, i'm not a crazy stalker.... I have no idea how I ended up here a few years back. I know Val, if that helps.

 
At April 26, 2010 12:25 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

I don't think you're a creepy stalker. Not any more, at least... KIDDING :)

Can't wait for the new album... It's marked on my calendar - just like the others were back in the day! I distinctly remember running out during a break in my university day to pick up 'Lay it Down' on its release date and anxiously waiting until after school to pop it into the CD player in my car.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home