Saturday, April 17, 2010

Still Thinking

I read a book this week that's been on my nightstand for months and months while I've been busy with life and work and everything else. And that's a shame because it was the best book I've read in a long, long time.

Yeah, that's right. I said it. It was THAT GOOD.

If you haven't already, go pick up a copy of Still Alice. It's stunning and beautiful and you're going to think about it for the rest of your life in a way that makes you a better person.

Still Alice is the story of a fifty-year-old Harvard professor who finds herself dealing with a diagnosis of early-onset Alzheimer's. What makes the book very special is that it's written from the Alzheimer victim's perspective, and it's written by a first-time author whose day job as a neuroscientist allows her to tell Alice's story with a depth of understanding and compassion that kind of blew my mind. It made me cry so many times... For Alice and her family. For people like Alice and their families. For the parallels I saw between Alice and my father-in-law. For the parallels I saw between Alice and my mom. And just because I'm a giant suck.

You can read more about the book here.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At April 17, 2010 8:10 PM, Anonymous Momma said...

I just need to say for the record, that as far as I know, I DON'T have alzheimers. We call it residual chemo brain. And it's getting better. At least I think it is :)

 
At April 17, 2010 8:28 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Hey! That's not what I meant. I don't actually know anyone with Alzheimers (knock on wood). It's just incredible how different disease journeys can sometimes have so much in common, and things we can learn from each other.

 
At April 17, 2010 11:17 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

I second the notion that it's a great book!

 
At April 18, 2010 4:31 PM, Blogger Karla said...

Read that with my book club last year. Loved it tremendously....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home