Sunday, January 31, 2010

Intervention

Have I mentioned that I love watching Intervention? Because I love watching Intervention. (Though I'm super tempted to write a letter to the network demanding they add some sort of symbol to their episode titles that lets you know ahead of time which stories have happy endings and which don't. Because sometimes it just hurts SO MUCH.)

Today, I was watching a rerun that I hadn't seen before. It was the story of a girl in her 20s who became addicted to pain medication in her effort to deal with her rheumatoid arthritis. And it broke my heart.

I've been sitting here trying to figure out why I was so profoundly affected by it, and I think it's because I understand her pain. I understand her all-consuming desire for relief. I even understand why she would consider taking abusive amounts of pain medication to try to achieve that goal. I just don't understand what could make a person take that final step and actually do it.

All I wanted to do after it was over was to hold Briony. She's my very best insurance that I will never make that choice. And she's a great snuggle buddy.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At January 31, 2010 5:10 PM, Blogger Amber said...

I'm sorry, I know this was a more serious post...but I thought of this when I read it:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3a3626d0dd/fred-armisen-intervention

 
At January 31, 2010 5:17 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

You are forgiven. Because that was the funniest thing EVER (and something that has been discussed in our household on more than one occasion). But I *do* need to watch others in turmoil to make myself feel better :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home