Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The One Where I Over-Think Everything

This trip has me thinking so much about change. It's no surprise, really, because this little corner of the world holds a substantial collection of memories for Geoff + I - both as individuals and together.

Each time I've stepped off a plane that has landed in Vancouver, my life has looked so very different. I’ve been single and stopping over on a business trip to meet a boy. I’ve been dating a different boy and meeting his family for the very first time, knowing that I’m days away from getting engaged. I’ve been pregnant and at various stages of new motherhood. I’ve been a student, I’ve been on vacation, I’ve been working, and I’ve been running a business.

Each and every one of those changes have been such a positive thing in my life, but today has been one of those days when just processing the immensity of that change - and all the change yet to come - has me feeling a little dizzy.

Don't misunderstand. There is no major change coming in our immediate future that I am aware of. But that's the thing about change. Sometimes it just sneaks up on you. It can happen in such tiny increments that someday you'll look around and find yourself standing miles from where you started without realizing that you were moving at all.

I have no idea what this year will hold for our little family. At this very moment (and for the second time in less than two weeks), I am sitting here waiting for a conference call to start – a call that promises to hold a work offer with completely unknown details and a completely unknown outcome. It’s enough to make a girl crazy if she decides to let it have that effect on her.

But all that's true is what I know today. I have a happy marriage and a healthy daughter. I have a successful freelance writing business. I’m not enjoying perfect health, but I’m working on it. I have some incredible friends. And I’m working really, really hard to find the best possible definition of ‘balance’ and what that might look like for me and for our family.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At January 28, 2010 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Over-thinking, shmover-shmicking - makes for a good post. :)

 
At January 28, 2010 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shmover-shminking, I mean

 
At February 01, 2010 12:43 PM, Anonymous Rob said...

Some might say that my master plan is working. You getting engaged a couple days after being at my wedding... that was me. You having a baby right after we have a baby... that was me. Your brother moving to BC and living in my apartment rent free... that's all me.
See you soon.
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home