Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pay No Attention To The Sick Girl

Seriously. I've been avoiding blogging so far this week because I really don't want to scare anyone.

The truth is that we went for our H1N1 shots on Tuesday morning and I've been really sick ever since. The reason I don't want you to pay any attention to that is that the health conditions I live with every single day classify me as 'immunocompromised' - and it's really no surprise that I've reacted so wickedly to this shot. The truth is that I've had equal - or possibly even worse - reactions to the regular flu shot. DO NOT BE AFRAID. Geoff, Briony, and both of my parents have also had theirs in the last week, and they are all totally okay (even my mom, whose body is still rebuilding its immune system after cancer treatments).

Far from making me scared or question the decision we made, it's made me more sure than ever that I did the right thing in rolling up my sleeve. This is my body's reaction to a small, controlled encounter with the dead H1N1 virus. Can you imagine what catching the real thing would have done to me? Scary. But again, I'm not healthy to begin with - so this shouldn't scare anyone.

But it's been a really rough week here. I think the worst of it hit me yesterday afternoon. By early evening, I was flat on the couch. It's kind of hard to describe it... I feel like I'm running a super-high fever, with all the symptoms except for a temperature. Weird, hey? And it's just head to toe PAIN. I think it's actually the pain that's causing the nausea. I am NOT a happy camper.

Geoff was scheduled to return to work today, but he called in for a family sick day to help at home. Tomorrow's actually a Katie Day too, so I'll have lots and lots of support to help me get better. And it's a good thing, because there's an adorable little girl in our house having her very first birthday party on Saturday and I will not miss this for anything. And I won't have to, thanks to friends who are willing to come and help me with almost everything to get ready.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At November 19, 2009 3:41 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

So very sorry this has happened but I tend to agree with you that this is better than a worse outcome. Our worship pastor's wife was in hospital last week and will take weeks to recover from the swine flu...she had no health problems before. Hope this is soon over.

 
At November 20, 2009 3:48 PM, Anonymous Erin said...

ah man! i really hope you feel better soon and i'm so glad you have that support system! have a great time at her party tomorrow. wish we could be there :( we'll get together once my madness has died down. love you dear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home