Friday, November 13, 2009

This Post Is Brought To You By...

The letters F and U. Winnipeg Transit knows what they stand for. And they know why.

Our car is in the shop today. That sucks for two reasons: (a) it always means big money, and (b) we're a one car family, so it takes us down to a zero car family.

I had previously made plans for Briony and I to meet my mom at her office for lunch today. And after checking the bus schedule, I decided that we would still do it - using public transportation. Not my favourite thing in the world, but I figured that it wouldn't be a big deal. It was one bus, manageable walking distances on both ends, and a decent schedule. And it was a wheelchair-accessible route, so I knew we could do it with a stroller.

The way there was no big deal. The driver was nice and made sure to park near curbs and lower the bus so getting on and off with B was a total breeze.

The way home went terribly, terribly wrong. Let's see if I can paint you a picture.

Buses are made do accommodate strollers or wheelchairs. They are not made to accommodate strollers AND wheelchairs. Especially not two of each. It was a tight squeeze with a whole mess of tires up front.

Wheelchair #1 needed to get off first. The only way for this to work was for one of the rest of us to get OFF the bus and then back ON the bus. Clearly, Wheelchair #2 was not an appropriate candidate for disembarkment. Stroller #2 seemed likely - a very young mom who looked very able. Problem was, she didn't give a damn. So Lindsay and Briony in Stroller #1 wiggled our way to the front of the bus and got off the bus - easier said than done because the driver had parked super-far away from the curb and hadn't lowered down the bus. He was completely ignoring us, so I was forced to pick up Briony's monstrosity of a stroller and lift it onto the sidewalk. At this point, the bus driver proceeded to both lower the bus AND lower the ramp so that Wheelchair #1 could easily get off the bus. I scurried back on with Briony.

At the next stop - about ten paces down the road - Stroller #2 woke up and decided she'd get off now (um, are you kidding me?!). Stroller #2 was blocked in by Stroller #1 and Wheelchair #2, and she looked completely bewildered. The easiest solution was for me to offer to help lift Stroller #2 over the wheels of Stroller #1 and Wheelchair #2, which she agreed with - but didn't thank me for.

Another ten paces (seriously) and it was time for Wheelchair #2 to decide to get off. Again, we needed to disembark so that she could get out. And again, the driver ignored me and left the bus away from the curb and at full driving height so that I was forced to lift Briony and her stroller and all of our gear off the bus... And then he lowered the bus and the ramp for Wheelchair #2.

I got back on the bus and 'enjoyed' the last five minutes until we got to our stop. Of course, I was forced to lift everything for the third time. I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I informed the driver that I was both disabled and traveling with a baby, and that my day to day life is challenging enough without people like him making it more difficult. He pretended that I wasn't talking to him.

So now we're home, safe and sound except for the fact that I'm in agonizing pain. I was happy to get to have lunch with my mom... But it was an expensive lunch. An expensive DAY, actually - the car is supposed to be done later today, but the total repair bill is nearing the current value of the car itself. OUCH.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At November 13, 2009 8:03 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

I hope you thought to call or email the bus company about that driver and his inconsiderateness. Glad you tried to talk to him...sometimes seeds sown...

 
At November 13, 2009 9:26 PM, Anonymous Momma said...

I'm so so sorry your bus ride home was so bad. I hope it was worth the time we had together. If nothing else, it was fun to see and hear Briony laughing in the empty glass room chasing the ball. Thanks for coming. I'm sorry it cost you so much :(

 
At November 13, 2009 10:25 PM, Blogger Sara Beth said...

pretended you weren't talking to him? Are you serious? Where do people like that come from? I'm so upset for you! Aw, and I usually love busing... Boo Winnipeg Transit - you should definitely write them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home