Monday, November 09, 2009

Day Four

Today is Day Four in a nasty ten day stretch of shifts for Geoff. By default, it's kind of a nasty stretch for all of us. I'm trying to focus on the fact that we're now almost halfway through instead of thinking about the - count them - FIVE night shifts that are still coming in the next six days.

I tried very hard to be zen yesterday, and failed miserably. I wasn't really feeling any better, and it was a long, tough day. Thankfully, Geoff was home to help with Briony in the morning - and even picked up groceries while Briony was napping and I was trying to hammer through a few client deadlines.

Today was a better day... There were probably a couple of reasons for that, specifically:
1. Briony slept straight through the night - no teething shenanigans - from 7 pm last night until 8.30 am this morning. Perfect. I love this kid.
2. Geoff brought me Starbucks this morning when he got home from his night shift.
3. We all cuddled on the couch in our pj's and watched last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory before Geoff headed off to bed and Briony and I got dressed and ready for our day. There's no way that a day with that kind of start could possibly end badly.
4. Oh, and did I mention that today was a Katie Day? :)
5. I got to work on a fun new project for a client with a super-urgent deadline (my favourite... is that sick?).
6. I called yesterday and found out that my massage therapist had a cancellation for today - so I took a break from work and went for a massage this afternoon.
7. I managed to get a bunch of things crossed off my list for the first time in DAYS today.

I'm definitely feeling better than I was yesterday, but I'm definitely still flared up. I'm using all of my energy to keep my focus on worrying only about necessary and imminent things, and making sure that I'm taking care of myself.

Katie's gone now, but dinner's in the oven - my go-to easy peasy recipe - and Briony's napping. I feel like I *should* be working... But I think I might go make a cup of tea and read a book for half an hour.

-

Tomato Parmesan Chicken

1 jar pasta sauce
6-8 chicken thighs or 3-4 chicken breasts
parmesan cheese
chopped veggies (optional)

Pour just enough sauce in a casserole dish or glass baking pan to cover the bottom. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Place chicken on top (if using breasts, cut in half to make smaller pieces). Add veggies if using. Cover with the rest of the sauce, and sprinkle with more cheese. Bake covered at 375 for 30-45 minutes. Serve over pasta.

The reason this recipe is so brilliant is that it uses things you already have. It's totally the thing I make right before we go grocery shopping. Today, I added cherry tomatoes and chopped zucchini and used the Newman's Own Marinara Sauce (one of my favourites because it's yummy AND all natural - we always stock our pantry from Costco). It takes about three minutes to prep - but it doesn't look like it - and it's seriously one of Geoff's favourites. In fact, I have yet to encounter someone who doesn't like it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home