Monday, June 15, 2009

Weekend Update

Earlier this week, I received an absolutely adorable phone call from Anica, inviting me to come to her soccer game that evening. It hurt my heart to have to tell her no, but I had one of my wedding planning couples coming over to discuss details for their big day. I told her that she should try again, though... And that led to an absolutely adorable email later in the week, letting me know about another game on Friday.

Geoff was working Friday night, and a quick Google Maps search revealed that the location of her game was a mere 15 minute walk from our place. It was a gorgeous evening and an easy decision. I packed Briony up in her stroller and took her to her very first soccer game. She loved it. There was lots of running around and yelling - and even more attention from all the soccer players' little brothers and sisters (and Sophie and Mady). Of course, my little princess soaked it all up. It was nice to see Steve & Val and the girls, and it was amazing to see how much Anica has improved since the last time I attended one of her games. They're playing legitimate soccer already! And I was *so* proud of the way she chased down that ball. If I'm that proud of my little cousin, I think I'm in trouble when it's my child running around that field :)

We walked back home after the game (and after lots of extra snuggles and attention for Briony) and I put her to bed and climbed into a bubble bath with the new Candace Bushnell book. (I know it's not really that new anymore, but I'm still in that phase where I'm delighted to have time to read anything other than baby books and textbooks - so it felt new to me. It's the same kind of thing when I get to see a movie that's still showing in a theatre. Sad but oh so true.)

Geoff obviously spent the first part of Saturday sleeping after getting home around 08.30, and I had every intention of taking Briony for a walk - but I woke up feeling incredibly tired and achy, so I puttered around the house in my pyjamas until lunchtime and then started the process of getting our little family ready to leave for Kris & Kari-Ann's wedding. To my amazement, we left to pick up Kyle & Anja about five minutes earlier than scheduled. I haven't checked yet, but I'm positive there's some kind of award for that... Anyway. We roadtripped it out to Elm Creek, making all kinds of bets and predictions about what we'd encounter there. We were mildly disappointed by the lack of funny hats and cowboy boots, but realized immediately that we'd missed out on the ultimate 'prediction game' punchline: trucks in the parking lot! Ah, well. Next time (hehe).

It was a great wedding. Kari-Ann, Queen of Efficiency, could literally not have pared down that ceremony by a single second. Maybe if they'd RUN down the aisle? It was all official in under five minutes, and then the celebration could begin. We had lots of fun with Anja & Kyle, and little miss Scarlett was eager to show off her brand new walking skills. The place was swarming with small children, and Kari-Ann in all her wisdom had planned a little dance party for all the kids right after dinner (and before the big kids' dance got started). Brilliant. Even Briony was all smiles and squeals with her daddy helping her dance in a flurry of bubbles. We couldn't stay very late, but I trust the rest of the evening was just as fun.

After surviving last week and Geoff's ridiculously busy work schedule, I had declared days ago that Sunday would be a blank day for our little family. We lounged around all morning (and I caught up on the episode of So You Think You Can Dance episode that I'd missed on Thursday), then packed up and brought a picnic lunch to Assiniboine Park. Briony napped while we walked around the park later, then we came home and Geoff attempted to kill our yard's disgusting ant population while I made dinner.

The day's real drama came later, when Geoff met up with some of his friends for an hour or two to talk cars and they ended up back at our place to admire Geoff's seldom-used ride. His friend's cousin was there, and he began to salivate when he laid eyes on the car... He wants to buy it. Badly. It's honestly something that Geoff and I have not discussed - at least not until last night. We both know that it's highly impractical, just sitting in our driveway under a cover about 99% of the time - but it's something that makes him happy, and I would never ask him to get rid of it. It's totally his decision. But I can see how hard this decision is for him. And that kind of hurts my heart a little bit. This just might be the end of an era, even though the truth is that this era was over a while ago already. But it still doesn't make it easy to let go.

Anyway. Tonight is Date Night. My parents are coming to watch Briony, and Geoff and I are going for dinner and then to the Coldplay concert.

And then tomorrow, my baby will be SEVEN MONTHS OLD. It totally blows my mind. She's incredible... But more on that tomorrow :)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At June 15, 2009 10:21 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Hope the evening went well and I'm guessing I forgot to wish you Happy Birthday! And many happy returns...It's the house painting that's distracted me:)

 
At June 15, 2009 11:41 PM, Blogger ka said...

Yeah for parties! So glad your family was able to attend. It was awesome... I had a lot of parents tell me their children slept REALLY well after the dance party... And I think a lot of the parents slept really well after the big dance party. :)

Oh, and for the record it was 6 and a half minutes long. I know, because I was bragging that it was a 5 minute service so my friend timed it and informed me I was wrong... Funny.

Randy was wearing cowboy boots, but for your benefit (and my couple of other city friends) I drew the line at the belt buckle and bolo tie. I have a reputation to uphold, you know?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home